Ch 13- Christmas & Nicholas

Christmas was coming. One morning in mid-December, Hogwarts woke to find itself covered in several feet of snow.

The lake froze solid and the Weasley twins were punished for bewitching several snowballs so that they followed Quirrell around, bouncing off the back of his turban which Adelaide had helped them in.

They had come to an agreement. Adelaide said she'd keep up the supply of snowballs, and she'd charm them to last longer, even after they got caught. And in return, the twins must make sure that it never got traced back to her.

They made the deal, alright. And Adelaide thought that Fred and George were a tad bit worried for her sanity because she seemed way too excited about pelting the back of Quirrel's turban with snowballs. Only they didn't know, what Adelaide was actually excited for was hitting Voldemort in the face.

The few owls that managed to battle their way through the stormy sky to deliver mail had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they could fly off again. No one could wait for the holidays to start.

"I do feel so sorry," said Draco Malfoy, one Potions class, "For all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

He was looking over at Harry as he spoke. Crabbe and Goyle chuckled. Harry, who was measuring out the powdered spine of lionfish, ignored them and Adelaide gave him her famous icy glare.

Malfoy had been even more unpleasant than usual since the Quidditch match.

Professor McGonagall had come around the week before, making a list of students who would be staying for the holidays, and Harry had signed up at once.

Ron and his brothers were staying, too, because Mr and Mrs Weasley were going to Romania to visit Charlie.

Adelaide also decided to stay she wanted to help them in not wasting their time upon researching about Nicholas Flamel.

When they left the dungeons at the end of Potions, they found a large fir tree blocking the corridor ahead. Two enormous feet sticking out at the bottom and a loud puffing sound told them that Hagrid was behind it.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asked, sticking his head through the branches.

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron," Hagrid said from behind the tree.

"Ooohhhh. You're gonna place that in the Great Hall?" said Adelaide, slowly poking the needles of the tree.

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" came Malfoy's cold drawl from behind them. "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose — that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

Ron dived at Malfoy just as Snape came up the stairs.

"WEASLEY!"

Ron let go of the front of Malfoy's robes.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," said Hagrid, sticking his huge hairy face out from behind the tree. "Malfoy was insultin' his family,"

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," said Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

"Professor, but what about Malfoy? He was the one who started it." Adelaide said indignantly.

Snape looked annoyed. Perhaps it was the gratitude towards her for being the only person who cared enough to warn him that he was on fire or rather his cloak was on fire during the match that he took five points of Malfoy.