Ch 23- Chamber of Secrets and A Thick Headed Fool

The next few days Adelaide stayed out of Filch's way. He kept giving detention for reasons like, 'breathing too loudly' or 'looking too happy'.

Adelaide would sit next to Ginny every time. The attack on Mrs. Norris seemed to have taken an immense toll on Ginny, and with good reason too. To the others, it was because she was a cat lover, but Adelaide knew she was troubled by the dark power of the Horcrux. She was struggling and no one saw it. Lucius Malfoy was smart, choosing a victim like Ginny, who would slowly crumble under all the pressure. And he was stupid, giving away something his Lord had asked him to keep safe, just to tarnish the Weasleys' reputation.

Adelaide would make small talk with her every time she saw Ginny, but slowly Ginny was starting to get aloof.

Hermione would have complained that Adelaide was spending more time with Ginny if she hadn't been busy in the library. The brunette was trying to get her hands on a copy of 'Hogwarts a History'.

Hermione stormed into the common room one evening.

"All the copies of Hogwarts: A History have been taken out," she said, sitting down next to Harry and Ron.

"And there's a two-week waiting list. I wish I hadn't left my copy at home, but I couldn't fit it in my trunk with all the Lockhart books."

"Why do you want it?" said Harry.

"The same reason everyone else wants it," said Hermione, "to read up on the legend of the Chamber of Secrets."

"What's that?" said Harry quickly.

"That's just it. I can't remember," said Hermione, biting her lip. "And I can't find the story anywhere else —"

"Hermione, let me read your composition," said Ron

"No, I won't," said Hermione, suddenly severe. "You've had ten days to finish it —"

"I only need another two inches, come on —Fine. Adelaide, please"

"Nope. But you want me to check?" Adelaide offered.

" It's fine," Ron grumbled.

"Just scribble something like a conclusion and make it kinda big to cover the length," Adelaide said.

"Addy!" Hermione cried, offended.

"Done that," said Ron

"Sad life bro," Adelaide muttered

The other three looked at her weirdly.

"Bro?" asked Harry.

"Uhhhhh.... short for brother. It's slang."

"Do muggles use it?" Ron asked

Harry and Hermione shook their heads.

"They don't use it. Yet. Give it a few years. Everyone will be using it. It's cool, isn't it?" Adelaide said trying to cover up.

"Well, it does sound cool," said Ron shrugging.

"Welp, I'm off, then," Adelaide said as she got up from the couch.

"Adelaide," Hermione started in a voice that suggested she sit her butt back down.

"Yes?" Adelaide said softly.

"Tell us about the Chamber of Secrets"

Adelaide bit the inside of her cheek.

"If there is anyone who can remember it, it is you," Hermione said.

The trio stared at the raven-haired girl.

"Thought you'll never ask" Adelaide smirked.

"Please. You need to tell us so we can help. We can solve this together." Hermione said, pulling her back down to her seat.