Ch 26- Making a fool of Voldy & Duelling

'Hello, Riddle. I am Adelaide Gracia.'

Adelaide had thought about it, she knew she would not do anything about the diary or the chamber of secrets. Since, if Ginny is not taken to the Chamber, the basilisk won't die, the Horcrux i.e., the diary won't get destroyed and the sword of Gryffindor won't absorb the basilisk venom to destroy the other Horcruxes.

Hence, she was only writing in the diary to firsthand experience Voldemort's manipulative techniques and also because she wanted to have the satisfaction to expose riddle and show him that she was not affected by him.

'Hello Adelaide Gracia, it seems you already know who I am.' came the reply.

Adelaide dropped her quill and closed her eyes, leaning back in her chair.

The elegant cursive writing might give an impression of mild surprise at first, but what Adelaide saw was not a welcome, but a threat, a dare. He was daring her to go further, to write some more. He was studying her.

The mere thought of it proved how strong Voldemort was. If a broken fragment of his soul, trapped away in a book for fifty years could try to manipulate her and move her around a puppet, she could only imagine how powerful Lord Voldemort would have been in his prime.

With a sigh, she picked her quill back up. Her hands were clammy and sweaty now. She dipped her quill in ink and wrote. 'Yes'

'Anything in specific that is bothering you?' The prick actually sounded concerned, but Adelaide knew it was just pretense.

'Stay away from Ginny.' That was all she could think of at the moment.

'Yes. Ginny did mention you were a great friend who seemed to know everything.'

What did you tell him, Ginny?

'Do not worry. I am just a friend.' Somehow this snapped something in Adelaide.

'And why would I trust you?' Adelaide scribbled back.

'Ginny told me about the attacks,' Riddle wrote back after a bit of a pause, as though he was hesitating.

'It happened back in my time too. Fifty years ago,' he wrote. 'I caught the person who'd opened the Chamber and he was expelled. But the headmaster, Professor Dippet, ashamed that such a thing had happened at Hogwarts, forbade me to tell the truth. A story was given out that the girl had died in a freak accident. They gave me a nice, shiny, engraved trophy for my trouble and warned me to keep my mouth shut. But I knew it could happen again. Like it is being now. I cannot let that happen. Not this time. I cannot let another person die an unfair death,'

Adelaide huffed indignantly. Was this asshole really pulling that card right now? Oh, how she would like to bitch slap Riddle, that jerk. He killed poor Myrtle!

Okay. Fine. Two can play that game.

'Died?' Adelaide wrote. 'Someone actually died?'

'Yes,' came the reply.

'That's so terrible' Adelaide wrote after a few seconds, making her handwriting slightly bendy to make it seem as though she was struggling to get the words out.

'Yes, it was. The school almost shut down,' Riddle wrote.

'Was it that serious? They couldn't find who had done it?' Adelaide scribbled down, faking her concern.