Prologue - The Common and Mysterious Human (Definitive Rewrite)

Well, I'm not going to say much here in the initial notes, so please read the final notes.

This is the last rewrite of this story, I'll make it work if it's the last thing I do.

I'm already writing the next chapter, leave a comment on the parts you like or at the end, it encourages me a lot. Don't forget the little star :)

It's a bit early, but I've heard a serious question asked of me and I've thought about the answer carefully.

The question is: Are people equal or not?

Back in the day, the whole town loved to talk about equality. People called themselves men and women who treated each other as equals, and shouted for the city to eliminate inequality. They demanded high employment rates for women, people used cards for everyone, and they went so far to find fault in order to register names. People still evoked equality for people with disabilities, and now the public is confronted to stop using the term 'disabled'. Children were taught equally.

Is that really right? I ask myself.

Men and women have different roles if they have different abilities. Disabled people are incapable, no matter what term is used for disabled people. None of this is meaningful if nobody pays attention.

In other words, the answer is no.

People are unequal beings; there are no truly 'equal' people.

The very concept of equality is a big lie.

In 2008, even as the city was engulfed in this egalitarian fervor, I could see what many would rather ignore. The inflammatory speeches about equality were beautiful on the surface, but the reality was much more complex. Behind the rhetoric, differences persisted, untamed and intricate.

I wondered, how could anyone achieve true equality in such a complex world? It was a question that echoed in my mind, just as the lie of equality was reflected in society.

The world was full of secrets to be unraveled, deep mysteries that extended beyond the surface. Beings beyond mere humans lived among us in this world.

However, I think I'm getting a little lost in my thoughts.

"Hey, who is he?"

"I don't know, but he's quite handsome, don't you think?"

"His clothes are quite flashy."

"Is he a transfer student?"

"Although classes have only just started, it's still a bit strange, isn't it?"

I seem to have become the center of attention before I knew it. My flashy clothes may have been the cause of this, as I believe it's quite unusual for someone to be wearing what looked like an unusually colored suit.

"Tch, another fucking handsome student."

"I hope he dies."

These were the comments of the few men who were present at the time. I didn't really know what I had done to earn their ire, however, I decided to simply ignore their comments.

My goal was the great school that stood in front of me. A prestigious school in the city of Kuoh, also known as Kuoh Academy. Not long ago it was a school that only accepted women, but recently it opened its doors to men.

As I walked, my eyes caught sight of a woman who seemed to be waiting for me.

"Are you Ayanokouji Kiyotaka?"