Diary of the wife of Martin

Monday 2nd May

I think the old lady over the road has disappeared, I last saw her on Friday 22nd when she shuffled into town with her trolley dragging along behind her. I’ll keep an eye out; Martin thinks I’m fussing.

Pippa Calwalk popped into the shop to tell us she’s expecting a new addition to the family, I think she’s too old for a baby and suspect she was referring to a cat. Martin thinks I’m being unkind.

Thursday 5th May

I’m really tired after being woken at five by the police breaking into the old lady’s house. When they came out again at seven thirty they were wearing those all in one suits and plastic bag shoes on their feet. After sitting by the window for two and a half hours I had a crick in my neck. Martin thinks I’m being obsessional.

Pippa Calwalk came over all dizzy today in the shop, she wanted a drink of water and a seat, Martin took her through to the back, he thinks I’m uncaring.

Monday 9th May

The local papers have reported that she was clubbed to death with a heavy object; the police were very cagey about it when they came to interview us on Friday. Her name was Mrs Bun, such a shame for someone with so jolly a name.  Martin thinks me crying over her death is melodramatic.

Pippa Calwalk’s cousin Mary was gossiping outside, apparently it is a baby and the father is unknown. Martin says I was being nosy.

Thursday 12th May

The police held a press conference today, we watched it at lunch time and on the early evening news, they have found her diary, apparently it’s given them several leads. I’d hate my diary to be read by police officers. Martin thinks it would be too dull for them to be interested.

Pippa Calwalk came in for some liquorice tops and then later for a bag of red liquorice bootlaces, she says her cravings are coming thick and fast and last night she even found herself eating mushroom soup straight from the tin. Martin thought this was sweet and laughed extra loudly, he told me that I have no sense of humour.

Saturday 19th May

I’ve been sick four times, twice straight after they arrested Martin, I told them that we hardly knew Mrs Bun but they kept saying that it was in her diary; they don’t think there is any mistake.

They wouldn’t let me go with him so I waited in the shop watching from behind the blinds as they put him in the car. I don’t think he’ll like it; he’s quite claustrophobic, he thinks I should be more of the outdoorsy type.

Pippa Calwalk stood on the pavement and wailed as he was driven away, I put my hands over my ears so that I couldn’t hear what she was saying. Martin thinks I can’t face up to anything.