Chapter 46: Merciless torment

(Third Person Point of View)

Everything had stopped for Aeryn as she watch Jonah fall to the ground. The lord of the abyss disappeared—disappearing into a cloud of black smoke with small thunders inside along with his sword.

Her eyes widens, terribly shaking as her small step stepped towards him. Jonah continue to draw in and out of shaky breath while the blood was dripping out of his lips. She extends her arms, trying to hold him close—not taking away her eyes from him. In doing so, she slightly tripped on her way to him and she almost kissed the ground beside Jonah.

A stifled sob came out of his mouth as she stay stilled, head bowed down. Her right hand crawled to Jonah's hand and held it tight, and her tears continue to stream down her cheeks at that moment.

"A-Aeryn..."

She shooked her head.

"D-Don't say anything..." She sobbed and her voice broke. "P-Please, don't say anything. J-Jonah..."

Her mind went blank and she couldn't even say anything. She can only cry.

"Y-You have to go, A-Aeryn. Y-You w-w-won't be safe here."

Finally, she lifted her head and looked at him. Without even looking around, she could feel the demons coming toward them. Weakened, she put her left palm on the ground and made a magic barrier around them.

"I-I..." She closed her eyes and she slowly leaned over before cupping his cheeks. "I should've protected you. I f-failed...again."

Jonah started to become pale, the blood on his lips dried up, and the stab wound he got continuously let out some blood. But nothing could be more painful to see the tears he saw from Aeryn and knowing that he would leave her with pain from his death.

Tears started to stream down his eyes looking at her. He could barely move, but he forced himself to lift his hand to hold her cheeks and wiped them off her cheeks. It was the first time he saw her crying. Aeryn, who was strong, impulsive, nonchalant but kind was someone he knew who would never cry.

"I hate seeing you crying."

She sobbed louder and she grimaced when her chest tightens, making it hard for her to breathe. Then she shook her head and wiped her tears off herself.

"I-I can still save you. There's healing water in the headquarters and it can h-heal you, just like how it heals me before." She sucked in a harsh breath and repeated the same words. "I can still save you, Jonah."

"There's no chance—"

"No! Don't say that!"

"Aeryn, listen!" She grabbed her hand and put it on his abdomen before pulling up the shirt he was wearing. "It wasn't just a normal stab. Whatever it is, it attacks my heart and I can feel my death getting closer."

She stared at the stab wound in his chest. From the wound, multiple dark lines were spreading in his chest, traveling far from the wound as if they wanted to spread all over his body.

She shook her head.

"P-Please, don't say that." She groaned, fighting off the lump in her throat. "D-Don't say that, Jonah."

She grabbed his hand this time and without any warning, she teleported them inside the science laboratory inside Erether's headquarters.

She looked up at the machines in front of her, hoping she could see the glass tube filled with healing water but her brows knitted when she noticed it was empty.

"N-No!" She stood up, walked towards the large glass tube, and pound her palm on it. "This can't be!"

"Excuse me, Ma'am."