seven

Here I was again crying---- in the garden while sitting on a bench.

My parents were forcing me and pushing me to divorce Zaroon and it just made me feel so sad knowing I can't do anything about it.

Ramadan has started and my family members had put this white partition in the middle of the table so we won't have to share or do anything with the other side.

How more cruel can these people get?

I was crying as I felt someone coming and sit behind me. I wiped my tears but they wouldn't stop.

"Tum kyun roh rahi ho?" It was Falak.
(Why are you crying?)

"Kyu ke mujhe us unse ishq huwa hai jis ki shaadi tumse hone wali hai." I sobbed.
(Cause I fell in love with a person who is getting married to you.)

"Zaroon ki baat karahi ho?" She asked and a cry left my throat at the mention of his name.
(Are you talking about Zaroon?)

"Mujhe laga tum dono ik dusre se nafrat karte ho." She mumbled.
(I thought you two hated each other.)

I sat up straight, wiping my tears.

"Ha-haan toh? Ma-mai karti hoon usse nafrat." I stuttered out and she smiled a little not believing me.
(Ye-yeah so? I-I do hate him.)

"Mai bhi yeh nahi chahti, Jannat. Lekin mai apni ammi ke faislo ko nahi thakra sakti. Dar lagta hai. Mai Shehryar se bohut pyaar karti hoon." She said.
(I don't want this either, Jannat. But I can't refuse mom's decision. I am in fear. I love Shehryar so much.)

"Itna keh mujhe lagta aesa pyaar ik mahine mai impossible hai, lekin mujhe unse hogaya. Woh meri respect karte hain. Hamesha nazrein neeche rakhte hain." I noticed the smile on her face as she talks about Shehryar while looking at the floor.
(So much that I though that much love is impossible to have in a month but I have it for him. He respects me. Always talks with his eyes down.)

It's the dreamy smile. The smile you have on while talking about your crush, lover, or husband.

"Unse door nahi rehna chahti lekin unke kareeb bhi nahi ja sakti." She said, tears gathering in her eyes and she met my teary eyes.
(I don't want to be far from him but I can't go near him.)

"Zaroon ke liye bhi mai aese feel karti hoon. Bohut immature aur-aur selfish hai! Lekin mujhe uske kareeb rehna hai." I cried.
(I feel the same for Zaroon. He's so immature and selfish! But I want to stay near.)

"You are in love, my love." She chuckled, resting a hand on my cheek.

I sobbed and hugged her tight, so we both can share our pain to each other as we both cried in each other's shoulder.

Just then Daniyal came running in.

"Jannat appi apko papa bola rahe hain" he huffed as he got out of breath.
(Sis, dad is calling you)

"Kyun?" I asked and wiped my tears.
(Why?)

"Woh apse sab ke samne koi papers sign karwane ke liye bola rahe hain" He said and I looked at Billo aunty.
(He wants you to sign some papers infront of everyone)

Divorce papers.

I went inside the living room with Falak and saw everyone sitting there. My anxiety went out of the roof.

"Ao ao. Tumhare hi intezaar horaha tha" Hania Phuppho sarcastically said and I saw Zaroon rolling his eyes.
(Come come. We were waiting for you)

"Ao idhar behto" my dad patted the area beside him.
(Come sit here)

I sat and felt Zaroon's glare burning into my skin. My dad took out the Divorce papers and set them on the table and took out a pen and handed me it.

I looked up to see Zaroon and saw him still glaring at me. I immediately looked down because his glare sent chills down my back. I "signed" on the paper that has ruined my life.

I handed the papers to Nawaz uncle. He read what I had wrote on the paper. He pursued his lips and handed them to Qadir taya.

"Yeh lo Qadir tum bhi parhlo." he said and Qadir taya who had a worried face fell down and a smile came up on his face but he quickly hid it.
(Here Qadir you read it too)

It was becoming like a train read.

"Yeh lo Shehryar tum bhi parlo" Shehryar who was staring at Falak broke his eye contact and started reading the paper and then covered his mouth.
(Here Shehryar you read it aswell)

"Yeh lein ahem- Basheer chacha ap bhi parle." Shehryar handed him the papers. He was trying so hard not to laugh.
(Here Basheer uncle you read it too)

Basheer uncle immediately broke into laughter, my dad who had been looking happy looked confused now.

"Yeh lo Dulha ji aap bhi parhlo" Basheer uncle chuckled and Zaroon who had been glaring at me since the moment I entered the room finally stopped and started reading the papers.
(Here Zaroon you read it)

His stare softened and a smile stretched on his face. A smile that warmed my heart.

"Arey hame bhi batao kya huwa hai" Tayi jaan said.
(Tell us too what happend)

Zaroon cleared his throat and started reading loudly "mene apne shohar se mohabbat ki hai aur mai unse talaq nahi loungi." gasps interrupted the room.
(I love my husband and will not take divorce)

My father stood up and started having some breathing problems he left the room and my mother followed.

Dadi jaan stood up and sat beside me and gave me her blessing. I looked at Falak who was happily staring at Shehryar.

"Ab mujhe Falak se ik sawal poochna hai" dadi jaan said and Falak looked at her.
(I have a question for Falak)

"Kya tumhe Zaroon se shaadi karni hai?" She asked and Falak got surprised at the sudden question and so did I, Zaroon and Shehryar.
(Do you want to marry Zaroon?)

Falak looked at her mom who was nodding telling her to say yes. She then looked at Shehryar and then me.

She shook her head meaning no.

"Lo gi. Hania bibi agar tumhari beti ko mere bete se shaadi nahi karni thi toh tumne haan kyu ki." Tavleen aunty asked Hania Phuppho who was very nervous.
(Here we go. Hania if you're daughter didn't agree with the marriage then why did you say yes)

"Ap sab mera faisla sun le. Zaroon aur Jannat ka mayo eid ke pehle din ko hai. Aur shaadi aur walima eid ke 2 or 3 din pe hai" dadi jaan said and I looked at Zaroon who was very happy with dadi jaan's decision.
(Now listen to my decision. Zaroon and Jannat mayon is on eid first day. And then the wedding and reception at eid day 2 and 3)

"Aur mera yeh faisla sab ghar walo ko bata do" dadi jaan said.
(And tell my decision to everyone in the house)

"Aur dadi jaan ab meri beti ka kya hoga?" Phuppho asked.
(But what about my daughter?)

"Falak se pooch lo usko kis se shaadi karni hai aur phir karwa do" Bi jaan said obviously knowing the relation between Shehryar and Falak.
(Ask Falak who she wants to marry and then get her married)

Immediately Nawaz uncle put the idea of getting Shehryar and Falak married both of them agreed and so did Hania Phuppho and Basheer phuppha.

Dadi jaan called Tavleen tayi and Qadir taya and my parents in the room. And me and Zaroon. We stood up and walked towards dadi jaan's room behind our parents.

Zaroon locked his pinky finger with mine and we held as long as we could.

Dadi jaan lectured our parents on how we have to be mature and should just forget about the past.

"Ao chalo Ayesha ghuzza tookh do aur ham dono behne ja ke iftar banate hain saath mai" Tavleen aunty wrapping a arm around my mom shoulders.
My mom gave in after a moment and then started talking to her.
(Let's go, Ayesha. Forget about the past and let's us sister make iftar together)

Dadi jaan dismissed us both so she could privately talk to our fathers. We went outside.

Before Zaroon could say anything I ran away from him and up the stairs. He ran after me and I quickly ran inside my room locking the door.

"Jannat please yaar darwaza kholo" he sounded so desperate it made me laugh.
(Jannat please open the door)

"Iftari ke baad milte hain." I said and he groaned.
(Let's meet after iftar)