seventeen

I woke up and the first thing---- I remembered was last night events.

A bad feeling settled in my stomach and heart as I felt my heart slowly sink to my stomach.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes, yawning. My joints were hurting. I felt as if I hadn't take any sleep at all.

Aesa lag raha hai kal Walima nahi dangal lar kar aarahi hoon.

Daniyal was sleeping on the single bed next to mine. I was still in my lehenga. I was too tired to change and surprisingly the lehenga was comfortable despite the embroidery.

I checked the time and it was only 4 am. I can't wake up at 11 am when I go to bed at 12 am, and when I went to sleep at 1 am, I wake up around this time?

You are brilliant, Jannat.

I got up from the bed and then opened the closet only to see Daniyal's clothes. All my clothes are in Zaroon's room along with my necessities.

I went out of my room, stretching as I walked to Zaroon's room. I opened the door meeting with the cold temperature room. He was sleeping so peacefully after ruining my life.

Jerk.

I opened the closet and took out comfortable and simple clothes to wear and then went inside the bathroom. I took a burning hot shower that felt a full body massage.

I went outside after doing my skincare and every thing else. I stood infront of the mirror and brushed my black long wavy hair.

I stared, blankly, at Zaroon through the mirror. Such a innocent sleeping face but there's a devil hidden beneath.

I left the room and decided to pray Fajr since it was time. I cried my heart out to Allah hoping he would listen to my wishes to go to Oxford.

After praying I decided to read books. It was around 9 am when everyone in the house started to wake up.

When I went to the dining table. Zaroon and my parents and Tayi jaan and Taya jaan were already there.

"Wah MashaAllah se aaj bari jaldi uth gai" my mom sarcastically said.
(God has willed. You woke up very early today)

"4 baje hi uth gai thi. Aap logon ke faislon ki wajah se ab neend bhi haram hogai hai." I said and sat on the seat between her and tayi ammi.
(I woke up at 4. Even my sleep is forbidden now because of your decisions.)

"Yeh Oxford ka bhoot nahi jaiga tumhare sar se." Mom sighed, shaking hee head.
(This ghost of Oxford won't leave your head.)

I shook my head at her and then asked "dadi jaan aaj nahi aarahi?"
(Grandma isn't coming?)

"Nahi woh bohut thaki hui thi isliye woh daer tak soi gi." my mom replied and I nodded, sipping my juice.
(No she was too tired so she's going to sleep till late)

"Jannat beta, Tumhari ankho se lag raha hai ke tum bilkul nahi soi ho" Tayi jaan who had just came from the kitchen said pointing at my eyes.
(It looks from you eyes that you had no sleep at all)

She was right. There were eyebags underneath my eyes.

Zaroon who had been silently sitting said nothing as usual. He was using his phone. Ever since I came he hasn't even looked at me once. Not even a single glance.

"Tum dono keh beech kya howa hai?" Tayi jaan asked, noticing our cold behavior towards each other.
(What happened between you two?)

"Apne is bete se hi poochein." I said.
(Ask your son.)

Every person in that room sighed except Zaroon and I. Whenever me and Zaroon had a fight. Tayi jaan would ask me what happened and this would be my exact answer.

I said it so many times that it had become a phrase that told everyone we had a fight.

Zaroon looked up finally and stared into my eyes. I stared back without blinking. Two can play this cold game.

"Tum dono kabhi bare mat hona." Tayi ammi said, standing up and walking into the kitchen.
(You two won't grow up.)

Zaroon looked down at his phone after a long while when I didn't look away. I smiled.

Score.

Taya jaan went into the kitchen, helping tayi ammi. I got up from my chair and walked to the kitchen.

"Tayi jaan, taya jaan. Sirf aap log hi mujhe support karte hai please aap log dadi jaan se baat karain ke woh mujhe jaane dein." I begged them, my hands joined together with tears in my eyes.
(Tavleen aunty, Qadir uncle. Only you guys support me please talk to grandma to let me go.)

"Ayyeee meri bachi." Tayi jaan said, coming towards me and hugging me.
(Aww my child.)

"Tum fikr mat karo ham baat mai karta hain unse baat." Taya jaan said and I smiled.
(Don't worry. We will talk to mom later.)

"Chalo aajao meri bachi mai tumhe kuch khilaon." Tayi jaan said but I smiled, nodding.
(Come let me feed you something)

We walked into the dining room and I sat on my chair again, as tayi ammi started putting food in my plate.

"Zaroon, Jannat ko juice nikal ke dedo"
(Zaroon take out some juice for Jannat)

Zaroon who didn't even look at us, grabbed the jug and then put it towards us. Tavleen aunty grabbed the jug and poured me juice.