nineteen

"Jannat, I swear, I'm terribly sorry."---- He said, running after me but I quickly walked down the stairs.

I ran through the house to get away from him but he doesn't seem to give up. I ran to the garden and ran in circles.

"Jannat, listen to me!" He yelled but I ignored him and continued running as fast as I could.

He catched up to me. We fall on the grass, with me on top of him.

"I hate you." I said even though I didn't mean it. I tried getting off, but he turned us around so he was on top.

"Yeah, I love you more." He said.

"Cheater!" I yelled.

"I was trying to make you jealous." He said.

"Oh and as if that's okay? Trying to make your wife jealous by staring at pics of other women?" I asked, trying to push him off.

"Okay, okay! I know it was wrong. I wanted to annoy you and anger you so you stay with me." He said, grabbing my wrists and pinning them above my head.

"You are extremely selfish, Zaroon. Why can't you understand that I want to go! I want to go to Oxford, that is my dream." I said.

"I feel like this was a mistake. A mistake that I married you. If I had knew that you would act like this, I would've never agreed for ruksati. Kash us din papers par sign kardeti." I said, not realising that each word was a stab to his chest.
(I wish I had signed the papers that day.)

His grip loosened on my wrist and then he stood up, looking down at me with hurt eyes. I sat up, wiping the dust from my hands before standing up and brushing my dress. I walked past Zaroon and inside.

I left him, standing there in the middle of the garden under the starry night, the moon who became gloomy.

━━━━━━━

I finished backing my suitcase. Two days left for my flight. I hadn't talk to Zaroon ever since. I hadn't even looked at him.

I ignored his longing gaze on me.

I felt guilty for what I had said that night in the garden. But my guilt and regret was overthrown by my anger, anger that he doesn't wish for me to make my career. Anger that he tried to make me jealous.

I stood in the kitchen, preparing food. My hair up in a bun, I was a simple white shalwar kameez with navy blue small designs on it. I wasn't wearing a dupatta as the kitchen was warm.

I could feel sweat running down my forehead and back. I didn't mind to be honest. It's just two days left since I will be gone to UK, who knows when I'll be back.

Zaroon entered. I tensed up. We didn't say anything as he opened the fridge and took out a water bottle. I felt his body heat behind me as he grabbed a glass and poured himself.

"Did you really mean that," he finally asked, I slightly flinched.

I couldn't answer. I didn't mean it but a small part of me did. I didn't wanted to leave Zaroon ever, but him acting so ignorant to my dreams hurt me.

I didn't say anything and focused on the phone. I could see him nod from my peripheral vision and then he walked closer.

"Tumhe tumhare khwab mubarak ho, Jannat." He whispered, near my ear, but I knew what he meant.
(Congratulations you have your dreams, Jannat.)

He meant that he is finally letting me go. He means he doesn't care anymore. He means that it's obvious I have chosen my dream over him.

He backed away and then walked out. I let out a shaky breath from my mouth and held onto the counter.