twenty four

Winter had started---- it was beautiful in UK, but I wanted to be in Pakistan. I had booked a ticket and I left for the airport. Pooja had dropped me off.

I reached Pakistan at 4 pm. Taya jaan and abbu picked me up. As we entered the house it was drowned in darkness.

"Andhera kyun horaha hai aur sab kaha hain?" I asked, my voice dripping off innocence and confusion as we three stood outside the house in the garden.
(Why is it dark and where is everyone?)

"Pata nahi abhi toh yehi the aur shayad light chali gai hogi" Taya jaan said, acting oblivious.

"Mai aur Omer generator chala ke aate hain" he said and walked away.
(I don't know they were here before and maybe it's load shedding. Me and Umer will go turn on the generator)

I waited for them to turn on the generator and when they did Daniyal yelled "appi!".

I looked up and he threw the rose petals on me which were filled in a basket. I turned to see Falak holding her camera.

"Falak!" I yelled and she ran to me hugging me.

"I'm okay. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm good." She asked and I smiled.

"Arey bhai andar bhi le ao usko" Tayi jaan said and I ran to her hugging her.
(Take her inside as well)

"Aram se" she said to me.
(Relax)

"Ammi!" I yelled and ran towards her.

"Nahi bhagna nahi- arey" she tried to warn but too late.
(No don't run-)

"Danii" I said hugging my brother and he made a face at the nickname.

"Yeh na bulaya kare. Larkiyon wala naam hai" Daniyal complained but I ignored him.
(Don't call me that it's such a feminine name)

I looked around and Tayi jaan noticed who I was looking for and said "Zaroon ghar par nahi hai aur usse nahi pata ke tum aaj aarahi ho"
(Zaroon isn't at home and he doesn't know you are coming)

I smiled and nodded. He'll have the best surprise. All of us went inside of the living room to talk.

"Yeh picture mai frame karongi" Bi jaan said when Falak showed her the picture she took of me.
(I will frame this picture)

"Zaroor karwaiye ga" I said, smiling.
(Surely do)

I went to my room, to go the bathroom and saw that the room was decorated with rose petals. There was petals everywhere on the floor, dressing table, couch, side tables, and bed.

When I went out of the bathroom. Zaroon was entering the bedroom. He froze after seeing me as if he couldn't believe that I am standing infron him.

He quickly walked towards me and took me in his arms twirling me around. I let out a cheesy giggle like a school girl having a crush. He put me down and kissed me all over my face.

The feeling of reunion felt like a rainy day after long days of summer heat.

"I missed you so much." He whispered.

"I missed you." I said and kissed him, deeply.

"Let's go somewhere." He said. I smiled and nodded, he kept me on my feet and grabbed my hand, dragging me out.

-

We sat on a bench by a small dhabba with tea glass in our hands. I was telling him everything that had happened in my life the last months.

The night was cold and my shawl was wrapped tightly around me. I linked my arm with Zaroon and rested my head on his shoulder.

━━━━━━━

"Sir jee." A junior police said to his senior.

"Han?" The senior police officer asked as he bit on his toothpick. The younger police officer pointed to the couple sitting on the bench by the dhabba.

"lagta hai date par aaein hain." The junior officer said, nodding.
(it seems as if they're on a date.)

"aao, pochte hain." the senior officer said, and walked to them, the other officer following.

━━━━━━━

We were talking, quietly, enjoying the calmness of the winter when two police officers sat on the bench infront of us.

"Aslam o Alaykum." One of the man said.

"Walaikum Assalam." Zaroon said, his body language reserved as he nodded once.

I sat up straight but didn't unlink my arm from Zaroon's. I fixed my dupatta on my head and tightened my chaddar around me. Me and Zaroon continued talking but quietly.

"Aap dono date par aaein hain?" The police officer asked.
(You two are on a date?)

I frowned, the hell?

"Jee, aap kyun pooch rahe hain?" Zaroon asked, coldly.
(Yes, why are you asking?)

The two police officers shared a look and one nodded at the other.

"Oh bas aise hi." The officer said.
(Oh just like that.)

I moved Zaroon arm with mine. "Chaltein hain yaha se. Mujhe ajeeb lag raha hai." I whispered.
(Let's go from here. I feel weird.)

Zaroon nodded and we stood up. I fixed my shirt and we started walking to the car.

"Ik minute." The police officer said and stood up and we turned around
(One minute.)

"Sharam nahi aati? Mulk ke bure halaat hain aur tum dono date par aaie the?" He asked. I frowned.
(Don't you have any shame? The country is under bad condition and you two were on a date?)

How does the country being in horrible condition have to with anything with the fact that we were on a date? We're not the ones controlling the country.

"Tameez se baat karo, biwi hai meri." Zaroon said, now getting angry. He has understood what the officer meant.
(Be respectful, she's my wife.)

"Sir ji, larki toh kuch zyada hi choti lag rahi hai." The other office said, looking at me up and down as he played with his mustache.
(Sir, the girl looks way to young.)

"Aankhe neeche kar." Zaroon ordered, the police officer somehow listened and looked at his senior.
(Keep your gaze down.)

"Tumhe sharam nahi aati? Apna maa baap ka aese naam kharab karte howe?" The officer asked me.
(Don't you have any shame? Ruining your parents name?)

"Oh uncle, shohar jai mera aur cousin bhi. Isme naam kharab karne ki kya baat?" I asked, defensively.
(Oh uncle, he's my husband and my cousin. What is there to ruin names for?)

"Jhoot bolte ho police officer se?!" The police officer yelled.
(You are lying to a police officer?!)

"Chotu, pakar lo is larke ko aur gaari bithao. Tum bhi aao bibi." The officer said as the other one grabbed Zaroon.
(Junior, grab the man and put him in the car. You come with.)

Zaroon didn't fight but he was angry. I could see it in his eyes as he kept his jaw clenched. I sat in the car, very close with him, because I was uncomfortable.

He rested his hand on my knee and pulled me close so I was no where near the police officer sitting at the end of the opposite side.