thirty

I was crying---- in pain. The cramps had been getting worse day by day and I desperately needed my family with me. My Zaroon with me.

I searched for my phone on the bed and picked it up. I called Zaroon and waited.

Zaroon had definitely changed these last two years after the death of Taya abbu. It had taken a toll on all of us.

His death happened during my second year of university.

I was in the shared kitchen of the hostel, making breakfast for myself when my phone started buzzing in my pocket. I took it out saw that my mom was calling me.

"Aslam o alaykum." I said, cheerfully as I smiled while preparing my breakfast.

"Jannat, Qadir bhai ki fout hogai." My mom revealed.
(Jannat, Qadir brother died.)

My breath hitched and my heart stopped beating. How could this have been possible? He was a healthy man. No.. this-this couldn't have been possible.

I couldn't ever imagine Taya abbu dying. For me, he was just like my parents. I always thought he would stay forever.

And then I could only think of Tayi ammi and Zaroon.

"Ke-kese?" I finally breathed out.
(H-how?)

"Office mai heart attack aagaya tha." She said, her voice quiet and sorrowful.
(He had a heart attack in his office.)

I turned the stove off, my breakfast long forgotten as I ran to my room.

"Parson janaza hai." She said as I quickly opened my laptop and searched from flights.
(The funeral is the day after tomorrow.)

No, no, no.

"Ik hafte tak ki koi bhi flight available nahi." I whispered.
(There's no flight available for a week.)

I was heartbroken. I was going to miss the funeral of my second father figure. I cut the call and sat on the bed and I started crying.

He was gone. Gone forever.

After a week, I booked the first flight I found no matter how expensive it was. I didn't call anyone. I didn't wanted to disturb them so I booked a cab.

When I entered the house, it was drowned in the darkness of sorrow. Everyone was in their room. The quietness of the house, scared me.

I left my suitcase and bag by the door and went upstairs to Zaroon and mine room.

He was sitting at the couch, his eyes visibly tired, his skin pale like a ghost, and it felt as if he had died but was a living corpse.

He was staring at the floor as if it was the only think that could distract him from his pain.

When he heard my footsteps, he blinked as if he flinched before looking at me. My eyes full of tears and I slowly walked to him, sitting next to him. He stared at me, emotionless.

"I'm here." I whispered, my hand on his cheek. That's when he broke. He hugged me as he started crying on my shoulder as I let my own tears fall as I rubbed his back and held his head.

"Let it out." I whispered.

His cries were like a each stab to my chest. Filled with such pain because of losing a father. I sniffled and continued to hold him for as long as he wanted me to hold him.

He had became cold and quiet after that. Less talkative, less stubborn, and less childish. More mature and he had taken over Nirsa Industrial Co. I guess a death does that to a person. Especially a death of a father.

He had become the Chief Executive Officer.

Finally, after so long of calling. He picked up.

"Aslam o alaykum." I heard his cold and husky voice.

"Walaikum Assalam." I said. Tears falling from my eyes.

"Zaroon.. I.." I trailed off.

"Hmm?" He hummed, as I heard clicking of keyboard. He was probably working still.

"You're still working?" I asked. He didn't answer, busy in work. I sighed, rubbing my forehead.

"Zaroon, I'm-I'm pregnant." I revealed, my voice low and shaky.

Silence. That was all I could hear. Complete silence. Not even his breathing could be heard.

It was so unbearable, I couldn't hear more so I disconnected the call and cried.