012. worth the effort

CHAPTER 12 | WORTH THE EFFORT

maki was not the type to spy on someone

maki was not the type to spy on someone. by accident or on purpose, she avoided walking into private matters. other people had their own business and she had hers. she had a respect for privacy, which she lacked in her years of growing up.

like both amaya and okkotsu, she was a student that was left behind. in a place where hordes of cursed spirits were loose, she might be more of a burden than a help.

she could defend herself, yes, but maki couldn't help anymore if she lost her weapon. as someone with practically no cursed energy or innate technique, it was an obvious choice to have her stay.

she stumbled across the classroom but by the time she did, her two friends were already inside. because how the sliding door was still slightly open, she was able to hear amaya confess.

maki was going to walk away until a thought suddenly hit her. what if for some reason, okkotsu turned amaya down although he clearly liked her? even worse, what if he said nothing at all and avoided the confession?

the green-haired girl would surely kick him, probably so bad that it'll leave a mark.

hoping that they wouldn't continue to be oblivious, maki stuck around. she felt guilty for this, yes, but she knew that amaya and okkotsu wouldn't speak about it if one of the unlucky scenarios happened.

the whole conversation was sickeningly sweet. she had no idea that either of them had it in themselves to spill out their feelings like that. after five months, she didn't know their feelings would be that strong.

maki wasn't even sure if it was just a crush anymore.

"...yeah! i erm, would really like that, actually."

"that's good. we can figure everything out when this is over..."

as some time ensued, silence remained between amaya and okkotsu. even as a bystander, maki was feeling incredibly awkward as well.

'never mind, they're still hopeless'

she stood straight and pocketed her hands, slamming the door open with her foot. she pretended to look at least slightly confused when seeing the duo sitting next to each other.

"maki!" they both cried in shock, still not believing what happened between them moments ago.