thirty six

I woke up with pain -- in my abdomen. I inhaled sharply, my hand rushing to my stomach. Zaroon was asleep but it was as if his mind was aware of his surroundings because he woke up immediately and came closer.

"Kya howa?" He asked, panickingly.
(what happened?)

"Dard ho raha," I answered.
(I feel pain.)

"Is it serious? Should we go to the hospital?" He asked, sitting up and walking to my side.

I shook my head and slowly sat up as he helped me and then I leaned back on the headrest. I yelped when more pain shot up and he sat next to me.

"Jannat, mujhe batao na pain serious hai?" He asked, anxiously.
(Jannat, tell me is it serious?)

"Nahi..." I said and closed my eyes.
(No...)

"Mai green tea laata hoon." He said and left the room. I was craving green tea and dark chocolate.

angry chick: dark chocolate bhi

angry bird: jee, meri jaan

angry chick: aur strawberries bhi!!

━━━━━━━

Zaroon's family was invited to an event related to his work. I got ready and wore a saree which hid my stomach completely. Zaroon wore an all-black suit. I wore black flats instead of heels because they would be easier to walk in.

I was standing by his side, my arm linked with his. He introduced me to everyone one by one. Later at night, one of his clients urged us to dance with a few other couples. After a lot of convincing, we agreed.

Zaroon took me to the dance floor.

"I'm nervous," I whispered. He smiled in response. His hand resting on my back, mine on his shoulder, and our other hands joined.

The jazz music started playing and our feet moved on their own in a synchronization dance. Our eye contact didn't break once as we danced, elegantly. Everyone around us seemed a blur, and only we mattered.

The dance felt nostalgic and a sense of deja vu waved over me as I remembered our wedding dance. The feeling brought serenity over my heart as I thought about the day. He twirled me, gently, before pulling me close again.

This dance felt like our last dance. And it probably was.

My forest eyes turned glassy as I looked up at him. I loved him so much that I could never question his love for me. Right now, it was three of us. But in the future, there will be only two.

Them.

He twirled me one last time, before carefully dipping me.

"I love you," I whispered as he dipped me and then pulled me back on my feet.

"I love you more." He whispered back.

━━━━━━━

We reached home and everyone sat in the living room, discussing. I was extremely sleepy. I rested my head on my mom's shoulder and slowly dozed off to sleep. I woke up moments later when Zaroon was laying me on the bed.

"Zarr," I said. He hummed in response as he sat down next to me. I held onto his hand.

"Hamari bachi ka khayal rakhna, please." I said, sleepily. I was half conscious.
(Take care of our baby girl, please.)

He didn't say anything. He kept quiet for a long time and I fell asleep again.