News

The dining hall that held several people just seconds ago now holds only two.

Me, and Kokichi.

"Do you even have a chess set?"

"Of course I do!"

"Okay, so where is it?"

"Monokuma!!"
So he doesn't have one.

Monokuma crawled out from under the table, threw a box at me, and crawled back.

So I had to witness that cursed image AND almost get hit in the face with a box.

"Almost" because I managed to catch it first.

I emptied the box and we set up our chess pieces. He chose the black set, I was left with white.

I went first, moving a pawn to open up my bishop and my queen. Kokichi mirrored.  I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Don't worry! I'm not gonna keep copying you."

"You better not."

I moved another pawn neighboring the other, intending to open up some space. Kokichi moved one of his knights.

"So can I know the reason you wanted to play chess?"

I moved my bishop.

"Chess is my favorite game!"

He moved his other knight.

"Let me rephrase. Can I know the reason you wanted to play chess with me?"

The pacing of the game started to slow down, as we started to be more wary of each other.

"...Simple. Everyone else said they didn't know how to play!"

I used my knight to protect my bishop.

"That was a lie."

He looked up at me.
"Hmm? And how do you know?"
He moved a pawn to open up his rook a small amount.

"You didn't have an answer the last time I told you."

"Maybe I just didn't feel like telling you then."

"You didn't ask everyone."

I moved my queen towards the center.

"Wrong! I asked everyone before you!"

Gotcha

"Maki."

"What?"

"You didn't ask her."

"Yes I di-"
I think he realized his mistake midway through his statement.
He moved his rook.

"So are you going to tell me why you asked me to play instead of Shuichi."

"Since you wanna know sooo bad, I guess I'll tell you. I actually did ask him! But apparently he'd much rather exercise with the idiot space man and the assassin." He placed emphasis on "apparently".

His bitterness in that last sentence is a level of emotion I've never seen from him. Maybe his feelings about Shuichi are more than surface level.

Well might as well push for the information. That is what I do.

"You sound jealous." I spoke as I moved my knight, taking one of his rooks.

He gasped, slightly dramatically. "Oh noo! Not my rook!" He proceeded to move his knight, threatening my bishop.

"And yes, I am a little jealous. How am I supposed to access the detective's deductive skills if he won't be near me!?" He sounded frustrated, until the end where he got sarcastic.