6. Perfect Daughter

Flora Memoria ( Nyoko's Point of View Part 1 )

I sang along softly to the song on my radio in my bedroom as I brushed my hair into a high ponytail. Today felt the same as usual, mundane.

I was sure it made me happy.

Nothing was different, I still had friends, amazing grades, I had a loving mother, an annoying older brother, and an attractive boyfriend.

The life my parents always wanted me to have.

I always made sure to look the best I could for any given situation, no matter how small. I was my family's simple and perfect daughter, Nyoko Ikari.

That's all.

I carefully attached my butterfly-shaped hairpiece to the top of my ponytail and double-checked my makeup in the mirror to make sure it was in tip-top shape.

"Alright, time to wait for Hiro." I hummed happily as I stood up from my stool and gathered my things. I grabbed my purse and a decently large bag of snacks.

Can't go anywhere without food, the others could want some too after all.

I turned off the radio, still singing softly under my breath as I exited my room and made my way to the living room to wait for Hiro to text me when he was outside.

"You're going out again?" My dad asked, staring me down and holding a cup of coffee in his hand.

I gulped softly, I guess I forgot he wasn't working today. "Yeah, my friends wanna hang out."

"Is it the same failures, or have you finally made new friends?" His words were cold and sharp.

I grew used to him speaking badly of them, even though I wanted so desperately to be the perfect daughter to him.

To have him look at me the way he looks at my brother.

I can't imagine my life without my friends. The joy they gave me always feels unreal. To smile, to laugh, to live unapologetically without worry. With them I never felt like I had to be perfect.

I never had to fake my emotions like I do with my parents to make them happy.

"Yes..." I said softly. I always wanted to stand up for them, but with him, there was no point. He'd just scream at me or worse.

Speaking back was against house rules.

"Which one is it?" He snapped in annoyance, I gulped softly and clenched my fists. I answered wrong.

"Same friends." I said softly.

He rolled his eyes and grunted in disappointment. I wanted to cry, I always felt so small with him around.

If only I was more like Keiko. I want to be more positive, more confident in myself no matter who I spoke to.

Why can't I be like her?

His venomous tone never failed to shake me. "Once you get into University you better make new friends. I'm tired of having a daughter that's friends with a bunch of useless idiots."

"Yes father," I said meekly in hopes to get him to stop.

There's nothing I could do to make him think of them in a good way. They aren't what he wants me to have in my life. He either doesn't like their attitude, their looks, their goals.

There will always be something wrong to him.

I felt a weight get lifted off my shoulders when my phone began to buzz. I took it out of my pocket quickly to see if it was what I hoped for.