Chapter One

Late August

Stephani surveyed the ballroom, ensuring everything was running smoothly and to her satisfaction. As the executive assistant to Raoul Navarro, Crown Prince of Marazur, it was her job to make sure that his birthday party went off without a hitch.

So far, the dinner had been delicious, the traditional almond cake devoured, and the music and dancing had begun. She started to breathe a bit easier now.

"Señorita Savalas? Champagne?"

She turned to the footman who carried several full glasses on his silver tray. "Sí, gracias." She smiled and took a flute from the tray, then sipped gratefully. The dry, fizzy liquid delighted her tongue. By royal standards, the party was small, but no expense had been spared. Including this particularly fine vintage.

Raoul deserved a wonderful party after the year he'd had. Considering this was the first real event at the palace since his wife, Princess Cecilia, had tragically died, Stephani had pulled out all the stops.

It was her job. And it was more than just a job, too. Because for the last seven years, she'd been in love with her boss.

Her boss, who had been married to her cousin.

Her boss, who was now a widower with two small children.

Right now, Raoul was mingling with a group that included the finance minister and the gentleman's twenty-something daughter. The girl looked up at Raoul with something like hero worship, and Stephani smiled to herself. He was at least ten years too old for her, but he was extraordinarily handsome with his black hair and dark, soulful eyes. New lines had appeared at either side of his lips, but Stephani thought they only added to his allure.

She joined the group and smiled at everyone, then spoke briefly before turning her attention to the Italian attaché. There was also a representative from the French tourism ministry, and she switched languages effortlessly.

"You're exceptionally good at that."

Raoul's deep voice vibrated at her ear and she suppressed a delighted shiver. She pasted a platonic smile on her face and turned around. "Oh, hello. Having a good time?"

"More than I expected. And what about you? Are you enjoying yourself? Or just working the room?" He lifted an eyebrow.

"Just making everyone feel welcome."

"And showing off the fact you can speak..." He counted silently on his fingers. "Five languages? Six?"

"Five," she confirmed. "My Russian and German are more of a danger than an asset. I could ruin diplomatic relations in two sentences."

He chuckled, and she let herself enjoy the sound. Raoul didn't laugh much at all recently, but the wine pairings at dinner and the open bar had loosened him up considerably.

She hadn't seen him this relaxed since...

A confusing wave of grief swept over her. Maybe she'd had a secret thing for Raoul for ages, but she'd also loved her cousin deeply. Everyone had loved Ceci. And Stephani missed her. Ceci would have loved a party like this. She would have sparkled like the diamond she was. Stephani was far better behind the scenes. It had always been that way, even when they were kids.

"It's good to hear you laugh, Raoul."

His eyes met hers. "It's good to laugh again. It's been a while."

"Of course." She didn't want to dampen the mood of the evening, so she smiled instead and nodded toward a woman skirting the dance floor. "Look. Rose has come back. The children were lovely at dinner, don't you think?"