Arc 1, Chapter 2: Feathers.

TRIGGER WARNING: Mentions of death/Loss of loved ones.

———

Balloon gasped in pain as the wings continued to emerge from his back... Why wasn't he popping?! And why the hell did it hurt so badly?!

When the wings stopped growing the pain wasn't as bad but he was still incredibly sore. He didn't realize how hard he had been biting his tongue until he tasted the blood in his mouth. Thankfully it was only bleeding a bit.

Nickel was standing in the doorway. He was in...COMPLETE shock. "I— d— did you— j— Wh— WHAT THE FUCK?!" Nickel stumbled back a bit.

Balloon was still breathing heavily due to the pain he was in. The feeling of growing basically two entirely new limbs was overwhelming. It was all so sudden... he felt emotionally and literally like there was a weight on his shoulders. He wasn't sure where to even begin.

'D—do I look...?'

'How much blood have I lost?'

'Wh—why does it hurt so bad?!'

'I'm scared... oh god...'

He slowly turned around to look, and on the floor were two VERY large wings that connected to his back. Heck... he'd be surprised if he could even fit them in here if they were fully extended, THATS IF he knew how they worked. Which... he had no clue... but it felt weird.

He shakily touched one of them. The feathers were soft and the wings were very sensitive. Probably because he JUST got them and the nerves haven't adjusted properly... like getting adult teeth and having them be sensitive for a week or two. He was extremely distraught, emotionally and physically.

Nickel stepped closer and opened his mouth without thinking. "Woah... How— how did this happen...?! That's— that's really cool actually." He said, astounded.

"I—I don't know! It hurts a lot and— wait, did you just—?" Balloon froze at the compliment he was sort of flattered since... well. He didn't get them often.

"Wh— I was just saying they're cool!" Nickel said again.

"You're being nice to me...?" He asked nervously, a small smile creeping on his face.

"WH— AM NOT! NO— N-NO! I wouldn't care about you! Hahaha-ha... uh... you look like a stupid pigeon! Bird boy!" He tried to retaliate. He seemed to be taken off guard and struggling. He seemed almost like he felt bad saying it

"But pigeons are cute!" Balloon commented. He actually kinda like birds. Especially ducks. He thinks they are cute.

His face turned a bit pink in embarrassment. And it almost seemed like there was some sort of empathy behind his eyes before he looked away. "Uuuugh! No, uh... you look like a dead pigeon! Or... something..." Nickel mumbled.

"Oh... Y—You... Really think so...?" Balloon whispered shyly... He was starting to think this was just another reason for people to think he was a 'freak'.

"Uh... well... UGH j—just! Leave me alone..." Nickel walked off.

Balloon sat on the floor before struggling to stand, tears coming to his eyes immediately. His centre of gravity was completely different now... his wings were heavy and his body was so light, he strained himself to try and move his new wings but, to no avail. It hurt him too badly and he could only get them to twitch. He sighed and remembered the pain killers down in the first aid room. Maybe that would ease the pain a bit... and he could sleep this off. But he risked being seen...