25. Sister

Guardian Memoria ( Kurai's Point of View Part 1 )

I held Yuki's head on my lap and gently brushed her brown bangs back to show her forehead. I released a deep breath as I felt shaken to my core.

If this was really the end... Then what was the point?

Why was all of this done?

What did she get out of this?

I tried to wipe my tears, but I couldn't stop crying. As I stared at her bloody face, all I could think about was the happy moments.

From the day we met when I had to keep her occupied with a story. She was such a sweet kid, always happy to meet new people, and filled with love and trust.

She and Naito would always get upset if Leo killed a bug in front of them, so they always made me guide it back outside.

I chuckled softly at the thought, gently brushing my finger against her cheek. They really did grow up so fast.

I reached into my pocket to pull out the small apple-shaped pin. I held it tight to my chest as if it was my lifeline.

It was the first gift she ever gave me, she asked me if I liked apples since I would always share some with her while she drew her little drawings in the living room.

When I said yes, she was all happy. A few days later, she came home with Leo and Naito with this little pin.

I guess she always associated me with apples since, just like she associated Leo with ume. She always had a weird interest in fruit.

She was always such a sweet girl.

I laughed faintly and rubbed my teary eyes.

"She... was..." I whispered softly, a lump forming in my throat. Yuki was my little sister. That thought hurt me like no other, I hated what I had to do, what I couldn't do.

But I never thought I'd lose her, not like this. I never lost someone before, why does it have to be so painful?

I took a deep breath to try and calm myself the best I could. When I felt a large amount of energy surrounding me, I looked to my side to see a large barrier making a dome shape around the clearing.

Someone must have signed a contract. I have to help them.

I closed my eyes and placed my forehead against hers.

"Yuki. At this state, I doubt you can hear me. But I promise, I'll help protect your friends. Protect the boys at home." I whispered softly. "And if she allows it, I'll be with you again soon. So wait for me. Ok?"