chapter eleven, animus

Clay's stomach lurched, considering momentarily turning back up the stairs but concern for Kinga's safety quickly overrode the urge to flee

Clay's stomach lurched, considering momentarily turning back up the stairs but concern for Kinga's safety quickly overrode the urge to flee. After a beat of internal conflict, he steeled his insides against the fear that rattled below his breath. Slowly he descended, stopping at the bottom as Kinga caught sight of him.

She appeared completely at ease, a cigarette lolling from her lips as she leaned backwards with her elbows planted on the hood of the car. Lifting a hand, she waved him over. Ox glanced over his shoulder at Clay's approach, he too was cloaked in an air of apathy, his hard features resting serene against the square shape of his skull. 

Now that Clay could see him in full, Ox's appearance was all the more intimidating. Though short, standing at roughly 5'5 despite the lift of his leather soles, he was wide as a barn door and just as fortified. His hair was closely cropped to his skull, black stubble parted by the silver of a scar that cut diagonally from the back of his ear. He was older than Clay had first thought, somewhere in his early 40s, and held a scowl on his lips that seemed to be a default expression opposed to one that had been summoned by any distaste.

Clay came to a stop at the front of the car, keeping several paces away from Ox. The man held a cigarette between his fingers, a box in the other. Silently, he lifted the box and offered one to Clay.

"I'm alright." Clay muttered, trying and failing to not sound troubled by the gesture. 

Ox shrugged, stuff the back into the back pocket of his dark jeans, turning back to face Kinga. She was yet to even glance Clay's way, a fact that made his skin crawl. He willed for her attention but kept otherwise silent. Displaying any kind of vulnerability in front of Ox seemed unwise. For now he resolved to simply listen.

"Like I was saying, he won't stay patient for long." Ox said in a gruff tone, puffing a cloud of smoke from his lips.

"Tell him not to bother. It doesn't change anything."

"At least talk to Auntie. She says she tried to call you. Says Uncle saw you last night."

"Maybe. I'll see. It's not really on the schedule though, that's packed lemme tell ya. But if I find a space to make the trip, I'll think about it."