thirty nine

The glass dropped --  to the floor from my hand. The loud shattering voice faded to me.

I didn't even realize a few glass shards flew and created small cuts on my leg. The pain was unbearable in my stomach.

I glanced down seeing the water pooling around my feet. That was not the water that dropped from my glass.

I held onto my stomach, gripping the counter. This shouldn't have happened. My due date isn't in a month.

I'm not ready to go yet.

"Ammi!" I screamed out. Zaroon wasn't at home. He was at work.

"Ab-abbu!" I screamed.

It wasn't a yell. It was a scream. The kind of scream people let out in horror movies. I was scared and anxious, it was happening.

And the whole scene played by quickly. It felt as if everything happening around was at 2x speed. My parents and Tayi Ammi ran into the kitchen and saw the glass pieces and water.

I was rushed to the hospital, sitting in the backseat while my father drove to the car, hastily and my Tayi ammi called Zaroon.

I couldn't hear what they were saying to me or Zaroon because it was all a fade to me.

I could any focus on the baby.

━━━━━━

Zaroon was scared. When he got the phone call, he ran out of his office, and went to his car.

He didn't care if he got stopped over by the cops because he was driving so hurriedly.

He wasn't ready yet.

Jannat's name was running through his mind like a chant. Like the lyrics of a song. He couldn't stop thinking of her how she was and what was going to happen.

Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat. Jannat.

He reached the hospital and didn't bother parking as he ran inside and saw his family.

"Jannat?" He asked, being out of breath.

"Andar hai." His mother told him.
(Inside.)

"Mujhe andar jaana hai." He said, trying to move past him but they stopped him.
(I have to inside.)

"Zaroon, doctors ne kaha hai bohut complications hain, kisi ko bhi andar jana munasib nahi hai." His mother said.
(Zaroon, the doctors said that there are many complications, and going inside isn't appropriate for anyone.)

"Kya bakwas hai? Meri biwi hai andar, mujhe andar jaana hai." He said, trying to move past them again.
(What rubbish? My wife is inside, I want to go in.)

"Sir, you're not allowed inside." A nurse who stepped out of the emergency room said.

"It's a strict order. Your wife is losing a lot of blood the only thing you can do is arrange blood of her blood type." She said.

He turned to look at his chachu, who had the same blood group as Jannat. Jannat's father went with the nurse and moments later the blood was arranged and it still didn't make the situation better.

Her screams sent chills all over his back. They were so loud and clear to him. He needed to go inside. A doctor was going inside and so Zaroon strictly demanded to be inside as well.

He was finally let in, and he rushed to Jannat, holding her hand. She was relieved to him and held his hand extremely tight.

"I can't do it. I can't do this." Jannat said, tears and sweat fixing on her face. Her throat was scratchy and she was almost losing her voice because of her screams.

"You can do it. You can do this, my love." Zaroon said, comforting her. Her eyes opened and she looked up at him.

"I can't. I can't." She shook her head.

"It hurts." She screamed.

"Push! Push!" The female doctor exclaimed.

Jannat's hand tightened in a deathly grip, the monitors started beeping, rapidly. Drips were attached to Jannat's arms. She was sweaty and her throat was about to give up on screaming.

"Wha-what's happening?" Zaroon asked and a nurse walked up to him.

"You have to go outside, sir." She told him.

"No way in hell! She needs me!" Zaroon fought.

"Sir, I understand your concerns but you need to leave. The situation is getting dangerous, you're not allowed here." She said and he argued that he wanted to say but at the end, he left.

He waited impatiently. His leg was shaking as he sat down but then stood up pacing around. He was so scared. He had stopped breathing and had to remind himself to breath.

Hours and hours after waiting, the doctor stepped out. An expression on her face that made his heart drop.