FIVE

Lucia stood amidst the rows of bookshelves in the library, her eyes fixed on the blurb of a book in her hands. With a casual flick of her wrist, she tucked a stray strand of her dark brunette hair behind her ear, momentarily distracted from the words on the page.

Disappointed by the initial impression, she closed the book and prepared to move on. Just then, Maeve, who had been engrossed in study materials a few rows away, approached Lucia with a mischievous glimmer in her eyes.

"Look what I found in the Economics section," she giggled, extending her hand to offer the book to Lucia. Accepting the book with a quirked eyebrow, Lucia snorted as she glanced at the title.

"'I Won't Love You Back'? The irony," she laughed, a hint of amusement lacing her voice. Handing it back to Maeve, she couldn't resist a playful shove.

"I think Mike might have put it there. He's not the brightest..." Maeve's voice trailed off as Lucia gently pushed her.

"You're being mean," Lucia chided, a grin threatening to break through her facade.

With a subtle hum, Maeve nonchalantly placed the book back on a random shelf. Lucia felt her phone vibrate in the back pocket of her jeans, prompting an audible groan to escape her lips once she read the text from Jessica.

"What's up?" Maeve asked, curiosity lighting up her eyes.

"Bella wants to have a movie night," Lucia groaned, her voice laced with reluctance.

"Yikes. What movie are they watching?" Maeve inquired, her interest piqued.

"Some action film called 'Face Punch'," Lucia grimaced, her distaste evident. "Like, what kind of title is that?" she pondered rhetorically.

Maeve scoffed in agreement. "You're telling me," she muttered, thinking about her brother's peculiar taste in movies. "Eric's been bugging Mom about it and is planning to go with Mike. They're so weird," Maeve hummed, shaking her head.

Maeve's eyes sparkled mischievously as she leaned in closer to Lucia. "So, since you're escaping the 'Face Punch' movie night, what's your plan for the evening?" she asked, her voice filled with curiosity.

Lucia shrugged nonchalantly, a gesture that conveyed her uncertainty. "I have no idea. I'll probably just watch the game with Charlie and make some dinner," she replied, her voice carrying a hint of casualness.

Maeve groaned audibly, her eyes rolling in playful exasperation. "You're so boring, Luce. I thought you'd go and meet your secret boyfriend," she teased, wiggling her eyebrows mischievously.

Lucia's eyes widened in surprise, her voice filled with genuine shock. "I don't have a boyfriend," she gasped, her tone indicating her disbelief.

Maeve burst into laughter at Lucia's reaction, finding immense amusement in her friend's genuine surprise. Lucia scowled, her eyebrows furrowing in mock annoyance. "You're so funny, Mae. Ha ha," she retorted, her voice laced with sarcasm.

Maeve smirked, relishing in the banter. "I'm so glad I don't have to worry about an excuse honestly. Your cousin's friend group is so weird," she remarked, a playful grin tugging at the corners of her lips.

Lucia couldn't help but raise an eyebrow, her voice carrying a touch of amusement. "That group includes your brother," she reminded Maeve.

Maeve let out a laugh, her voice filled with amusement. "Exactly my point," she stated, emphasizing her words with a chuckle.

Their playful banter came to an abrupt halt as the stern figure of the librarian rounded the corner, her disapproving gaze falling upon Maeve. With an aggressive shush, Maeve was startled, her eyes widening in surprise.