forty

The doctor stepped outside -- removing her mask as Jannat's family rushed to the doctor.

"MashaAllah, se beti howi hai aur healthy hai." The doctor said, a chant of "Alhamdulillah" was heard from the family except from Zaroon who was staring at the doctor waiting for her to talk about Jannat.

"Magar.. patient bohut critical condition main hai. Hamey nahi pata keh kya ho sakta. Sab Allah keh haath main hai lekin ham apni taraf se poori koshish kar rahe hain." The doctor said and then left.

(But.. patient is in a very critical condition. We don't know what will happen. Everything is in Allah's hands but we're trying from our side.)

Zaroon staggered back and sat on the chair, staring blankly at the walk. He felt as if he was going to die any moment now.

"Zaroon, sambhalo apne aap ko." His mother said to him but her voice seemed a blur to him.
(Zaroon, control yourself.)

His breathing became uneven and his vision blurred with tears. And that moment, he only thought about one thing. He stood up and walked to the men's washroom and made his wudhu.

He went to the men's prayer room and begged his Allah with tears to save his wife.

━━━━━━━

Jannat's mother was the first one to pick up the baby girl.

The nurses had to clean her and do safety tests which took long. After the tests were done, they kept the sleeping baby girl in the nursery where they could finally see her.

"Hamari Zarina." Ayesha said kissing her granddaughter's head.
(Our Zarina.)

"Excuse me? Birth certificate banwa lein?" The nurse asked.
(Let's make the birth certificate?)

They nodded and walked out of the nursery with Zarina in Ayesha's arms.

━━━━━━━

BIRTH CERTIFICATE

Name: Zarina Zaroon Nirsa.

Date of Birth: 21 december 2023

Gender: Female.

Religion: Islam

Father's name: Zaroon Qadir Nirsa.

Nationality: Pakistani.

Mother's name: Jannat Zaroon Omer Nirsa.

Nationality: Pakistani.

━━━━━━━

As Zaroon sat inside the hospital room of his unconscious wife with his sleeping daughter in his arms, he couldn't help but cry, silently.

He was so full of hurt. He didn't know what to expect. He didn't know what the future held for him and it was scaring him.

He couldn't live without her. Even now, he felt as if his each breath felt like his last.

He had recited the azaan in Zarina ear, quietly after he had came back from praying. She was awake then and the nurses were preparing breast milk from Jannat.

He was shaking, nonstop the whole day. He couldn't stop himself from breaking down in this room.

He pulled Zarina close, his chest shaking with sadness and anxiety.

He pressed a kiss on her forehead, his tears softly failing on her cheeks, "apni mama ko bolo na keh woh uth jaien." He whispered.
(Tell your mom to wake up.)

He after a while stood up and walked to the crib, setting Zarina down carefully before walking to Jannat. He sat on the chair and held her hand, gently.

"Please fight, Jannat. Keep fighting for me and for Zarina." He whispered.