forty one

A MONTH LATER...

━━━━━━━

A dry throat, a blurry vision, and weak legs --- were what she felt the first thing she woke up.

A child was crying.

She blinked, repeatedly, trying to get used to the light. She slowly moved her sore neck and weakly raised her hand to pick up the water glass.

She slightly sat up and drank the water in one gulp. She wiggled her toes before moving her legs out of bed. She shakily stood up and walked towards the crib where the crying baby was.

"Oh.. oh baby, don't cry." She whispered out. She automatically knew it was her baby. Her Zarina. The memories of the childbirth and her blacking out came to mind.

She carefully picked Zarina up -- whose cries slowly lowered -- and walked to the bed, sitting down, in a crisscrossed way.

"Mama idhar hi hain. Apki mama." She whispered and pulled her hospital gown to start breastfeeding Zarina.
(Mama is here. Your mama.)

Zarina immediately stopped crying and stared up at her mother with big eyes. Eyes that mirrored Jannat's eyes. Jannat took a long time just looking and observing Zarina.

After Zarina stopped, Jannat patted her chest, gently, and soon Zarina fell asleep while Jannat pulled her gown collar up.

"Jannat?" She jumped and looked behind her. Her husband sat up, instantly from the uncomfortable sofa he was sleeping on and he rushed to her.

He was crying as he held her face and looked at her trying to see if he was dreaming or if she was awake.

"Meri jaan." He whispered, shakily and kissed her face through joyful tears.
(My life.)

"Zarr." She whispered back, her hand still resting on Zarina's chest and her other hand gripping his arm softly.

"Itna intezaar karwaya tumne." He silently cried.
(You made me wait so much.)

He spent the whole month praying day and night for her to wake up. He kissed her and she kissed back, her hand resting on his chest as well.

Just as he pulled away, he went to the personal bathroom and made wudhu to pray shukrane ki namaz.

Jannat watched with a smile as he prayed and then she looked at Zarina.

She was beyond grateful to her Allah for giving her a second chance in life to watch her girl grow up. To do things with her that Jannat always dreamed of. Now Zaroon won't have to do that list alone.

━━━━━━━

Jannat held onto her mother's hand and shoulder while Zaroon behind her held Zarina in one arm and all the bags in the other hand.

Her family greeted her with flowers. Even Falak and Shehryar came from the USA to congratulate her for winning the battle between life and death.

Tavleen hugged Jannat and she hugged her, closing her eyes before hugging Falak.

"I'm so proud of you, Jannat," Falak said to her after they pulled away and then Falak rushed to Zaroon to look at the baby.

That night, Jannat couldn't sleep. Because of a certain someone. She looked beside her and saw Zaroon sleeping peacefully. She shook him awake and he woke up in a jerk.

"Kya howa?" He asked in a panicky voice.
(What happened?)

"Agar mai nahi so sakti toh tumhe bhi nahi sone dongi." Jannat told him.
(If I can't sleep then you can't sleep either.)

He sighed, calming himself, and then laid down again.

"Dara diya tumne, Jannat." He said.
(You scared me, Jannat.)

She smiled, sheepishly as he slightly sat up and came closer, his head pressed against her arm and he looked at Zarina who looked like she wasn't going to sleep anytime soon.

"Tum pe gai hai." He said and laid down.
(She's just like you.)

"Abhi toh aese kaam bhi nahi kiya joh mujh par jaigi." Jannat said, rolling her eyes.
(She didn't even do things that would make her like me.)

"Mai uske zahoor ki baat kar raha tha, Jannat." Zaroon said.
(I was talking about her appearance, Jannat.)

"Oh."

"Clear karna tha na." She said.
(You should've cleared that.)

He only chuckled and pressed a kiss on her arm, creating chills all over her body.

"Zarina, apke abbu bohut besharam hain." Jannat said, making him laugh.
(Zarina, your dad is very shameless.)

"Isme sharam ki kya baat? Meri biwi ho." He said and kissed her arm again.
(What is there to be ashamed of? You're my wife.)

"Insaan bachi ka khayal karleta hai." She said.
(A person should be aware that his daughter is in front of him.)

"Jannat, she's only aware and cares about her thumb." He said, chuckling lowly.

Jannat looked at Zarina who was sucking on her thumb. She clicked her tongue and slowly removed Zarina's thumb from her mouth.

"Take out the pacifier." She ordered him.

He sighed and stood up walking to the dresser and opening a drawer to take out the new unopened pacifier pack. He opened it and went downstairs to the kitchen to clean it.

He came inside and put the pacifier in Zarina's mouth. They watched her as she moved her feet and hands, gripping Jannat's pointer finger and then she slowly fell asleep.

"Shukar." Jannat whispered.
(Thankfully.)

Zaroon picked Zarina up and kept her in the crib before sitting in front of Jannat and pulling her close to make her sit in his lap.

"Mai bohut shukar guzaar hoon keh tum mere pass ho." He whispered.
(I am so thankful that you are here with me.)

"Mai bhi." She whispered back before kissing him, softly.
(Me too.)

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

you guys are very lucky because i almost killed Jannat. i literally have a unofficial chapter in my draft that i will post.