epilogue

I held my two-year-old -- Fajr on my hip as I walked into the kitchen grabbing her feeder before walking back into the living room and sitting down on the couch, keeping her in my lap.

She drank her milk while holding onto my finger as I scrolled through my phone, I had sent a design dress to this one well-known company hoping they'd accept my design.

"Mama!" I shut my phone and looked to see Zarina running and coming from her ballet class.

"meri jaano!" I exclaimed as she jumped up on the couch and hugged me. I kissed her cheek and then she pinched Fajr's chubby cheeks.
(My life.)

Zaroon who was behind her dropped Zarina's princess school bag on the table before sitting down on the armchair. He looked pretty tired. His company was going through a tough time and it was making him stress.

I laid Fajr on the couch and Zarina played with her while she drank her milk. I walked into the kitchen and took a glass of water for Zaroon. I handed him the glass and he thanked me. 

"Khana lagaon?" I asked him, softly. He smiled and nodded.
(Shall I serve food?)

"Zari, change karlo, beta. Mai khana laga rahi hoon." I said, walking into the kitchen.
(Zari, change, child. I'm about to serve food.)

I heard Zarina running up the stairs and Zaroon telling her to slow down while I warmed the food. I served the food on the table and sat down, serving the perfect amount to Zarina and Zaroon came down after freshening up.

After dinner, I put the kids to sleep before going to my bedroom where I saw Zaroon sitting on the bed.

I smiled and sat in front of him. He kept his phone away and sat up straight, pulling me in his lap, I wrapped my arms around his neck and played with his hair.

"Thak gayi?" he asked, I closed my eyes and nodded, resting my head on his shoulder.
(You're tired?)

"I was thinking of going on a family vacation for summer." He said and I opened my eyes looking at him.

"I need a break." He said, quietly. I smiled and nodded.

"Where?" I asked.

"Where do you wanna go?" He asked.

"Scotland," I answered, still smiling.

"Then, we'll go to Scotland."He said.

━━━━━━━

We reached Edinburgh, Scotland a month later after making the plan. It felt amazing, we had a lot of fun and I took way too many pictures of us that my phone ran out of storage. I just wanted to capture everything and every memory in my phone. It felt like a dream but what made it better was that it was happening in real life.

Zaroon and I came a long way to where we are today. From arguing and hating each other to loving and almost losing each other to getting married to being away from each other to him almost losing me to now having a family vacation with our two daughters.

And one on the way.

"Woh dekho," I said pointing to a castle, I had Fajr in my arms and Zaroon had Zarina.
(Look at that)

"Mujhe udhar jana hai," Zarina pleaded.
(I wanna go there)

"Mere bacha, mujhe nahi lagta ham ja sakte hain," I said.
(My baby, I don't think we can,)

"Kyun nahi ja sakte?" Zaroon asked, "We will go,"
(Why not?)

"Zaroon," I warned.

"Jannat" he mocked me, "meri bachi ko jana hai toh ham zaroor jaige. Haina?" He asked.
(My daughter wants to go and so we will. Won't we?)

"Yes!" Zarina exclaimed, excitedly and we both chuckled.

"Let's go!" he said and slowly ran towards the castle as Zarina laughed.

Fajr giggled and then tapped my shoulder. I laughed at them, wholeheartedly, and followed behind.

I kept Fajr on her feet as Zarina and she walked around, looking fascinated by everything. I walked beside Zaroon, our hands linked, we pointed to stuff we wanted to show each other and read the history of everything. I watched Zaroon as he told me something about the castle. I couldn't keep it any longer.

"Zaroon." I stopped him and he looked at me.

"I'm pregnant," I said, a sense of deja vu hitting me once again.

His eyes widened. His mouth opened and closed, his body turning towards me. "Ph-phir se?" He asked. I frowned.
(again?)

"Kya matlab 'phir se?'" I asked, defensively.
(What do you by 'again?')

"Nahi, nahi, oh- oh my god! Jannat, I love you so much." He said, happily as he hugged me and twirled me, kissing my face.

I giggled and pulled away, looking at Zarina who made a disgusted face and pretended to throw up. "Ewwww," she said, I chuckled before looking at Fajr who was walking away, independently.

"Fajr," I called out and ran behind her before picking her up in the air making her squeal and giggle.

"Ammi abbu se bhaag rahi ho, hain?" I asked, tickling her.
(You're running away from mom and dad?)

She laughed, loudly, thrashing her arms and legs moving around in my arms. Zaroon joined us with Zarina and took Fajr from me and I helped Zarina's hand. We left and then had dinner at a restaurant. As I sat on the chair watching Zarina and Zaroon talk and Fajr sleeping in his arms, I felt extremely grateful that I was there with them. To watch Zaroon be a good father, to watch Zarina and Fajr grow up, and to hold another baby carefully in my womb.

I was beyond grateful for the family I had and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

that's the end of Dil-E-Zaar, everybody!!! thank you for being on this journey with me of revamping this book. thank you for voting and commenting. check out my other books, maybe you'll like them anddd

Allah Hafiz!!