Arc 1, Chapter 22: Spark with Power.

———

'When I take my last breath'

'I do not want you to grieve my loss.'

'For if my memory is in your heart...'

'I'll live forever.'

———

Balloon had been lying in bed. Nickel was asleep in his arms, the blanket pulled up as high as Balloon could manage as to not cover his mouth. He wanted Nickel to be able to breathe after all. He stared up at the ceiling. He didn't have anything to do really.

He tried to shut his eyes, but, the embrace of sleep never came. He sighed and turned on his side, now resting his head on the other boy. He stared down at the sleeping coin. His peaceful face when he was sleeping was so cute to him. He couldn't help but blush.

But his boredom didn't waver.

He picked at his nails and stared silently at wall now instead of the ceiling.

He then felt a pain in his back. He knew it was from his wings in an instant. They ached once again, we're they still growing...?! That shouldn't even be possible... They were going to grow far to big, right?

God it hurt so much, he bit his thumb at an attempt to draw his attention away from the pain on his back, only to have that plan fail miserably. It felt so much worse than before... it's almost as if every single vein, muscle, artery, an basically his entire body had caught ablaze. He could of sworn his blood was boiling... Or his body was eating him from the inside out.

Everything hurt so bad, sure he had surges of pain like this before. But not ones this bad. It felt like he was being shred apart from all angles, his head was pounding.

At the same time he felt... Powerful...

What did these frequent surges of pain even mean—?! He didn't know, and wasn't sure if he even WANTED to know.

He didn't ask for these powers.

Then again, he wouldn't have become close to Nickel if it wasn't for this...
Whole magic thing.

Balloon wasn't sure if the thought comforted, or distressed him. He didn't want to think about it too much.

Balloon curled his aching wings around his body, and hid with the one he loved in their soft embrace. The feathers against his skin, and latex felt welcoming and cozy. He suddenly felt an even more comfy feeling. A hand gliding down the feathers in a comforting way. Balloon glanced at Nickel and saw his softly opened eyes, he must have realized Balloon had been in distress. His hand gently rubbed Balloon's feathers.

Balloon shuddered at the feeling and melted. It made him feel so comforted and loved. And just— Nice in general. He hummed with comfort as Nickel used his magic claw to pet his wings without having to actually move and exert energy.

Balloon's pain seemed to ease momentarily while he was in his moment of relief and bliss. Balloon's wings twitched a but at the pets Nickel was providing for them.