SEVENTEEN

After the incident with an unknown vampire entering the Swan home, the Cullens and wolves knew they needed to work together to keep a close eye on things. It was clear that no one group could watch over the area alone around the clock and catch the red-headed leech that was after Bella.

Victoria had been jumping between territories, causing havoc between the two supernatural groups. It had gotten to the point where in the heat of the chase, Emmet had leapt across the border to catch her only to be knocked off the Quileute lands by Paul who growled viciously. No matter the reason, the treaty would stay in full effect.

In addition, Victoria's constant running around the woods had been draining for both parties - mainly the wolves who had been after her since the Cullens had up and left the previous year. To say they were tired would be an understatement.

Today, though, the pack had the day off since it was the night of the bonfire. Paul had been curled up on Lucia's bed since he got off patrol that afternoon. He had come to spend time with her, his nerves on end considering he was going to tell her the truth behind their connection later that evening. But, the moment he'd laid down on the bed with Lucia in his arms, he'd fallen asleep immediately.

He woke up a few hours later without Lucia in his arms. He turned to look around her room and saw her getting ready for the bonfire. She pulled on an ash-grey sweater, the same colour as his wolf. A satisfied hum left his throat at the sight.

Lucia looked towards Paul with a smile as he got out of bed and walked to her, gathering her in his arms and dipping his head to meet her lips. Her eyes shut instinctively, allowing herself to be lost in him.

Lucia had known what she was doing when she put the sweater on. She remembered that day in the clearing when she saw Paul shift for the first time into his grey wolf. She hadn't realised she had a sweater the same colour as his fur but when she did she seized the opportunity.

He tilted her head slightly, deepening the kiss as he parted her lips with his tongue. She opened her mouth willingly, allowing his tongue to meet hers in a fiery dance.

Her hands were placed on his warm chest, drifting across his strong build with feather-like touches that left goosebumps in their wake. Her body was alight and the only thing she could feel was Paul. He enveloped her entirely, his dominant aura all that she wanted to feel, to get lost in.

Paul's hands wandered underneath her sweater, caressing her sides, leaving goosebumps in their wake. He pulled away from her, smirking at how red and plump they were now. He moved his lips down her jaw, kissing down her neck and nipping at her pulse, a pleasured gasp escaping her lips.

"Paul," she breathed out, soft and sweet like a siren's song. Paul hummed in acknowledgement, continuing his assault on her neck. "We should get going or... or we'll be late."

"Mhm," Paul hummed as he took his hands from under her shirt, his lips meeting hers once more for a soft kiss once more, reluctant to pull away. He stole one last kiss which left a smile on her face.

When Paul and Lucia arrived at the Blacks' bonfire, the evening was just starting to fall. They were pleasantly surprised to see they were among the first guests to turn up. Paul had chosen to wear his fitted black shirt and favourite worn-in jeans instead of cutoffs and no shirt.

As they walked onto the property, Lucia couldn't help but notice how handsome Paul looked in the fading daylight. His features seemed to glow with warmth and smiles came easily to him. Her heart fluttered in her chest as she gazed at him, completely enamoured by the man beside her. Paul met her gaze and smiled at her in a way that made her knees weak.

Lucia was introduced to Leah and Seth Clearwater, who had recently phased after the tragic passing of their father, Harry. Seth seemed to be trying to stay upbeat, greeting Lucia with a wide smile and making friendly small talk before returning to his seat.