TWENTY-TWO

The pack stood outside Sam and Emily's home, bracing themselves for the upcoming fight that awaited them. Jacob had spent the previous night away, ensuring that Bella and Edward's scent would not give them away to the newborns. They were all on edge but ready to kill some vampires.

Paul held Lucia tenderly, his eyes darting across her face to commit to memory. As a stray strand of hair fell from her ponytail, he gently brushed it away. Placing a warm kiss on her forehead, Lucia closed her eyes, leaning into Paul's embrace with a sigh. Her hands rested gently on his waist, her fingers tracing delicate patterns on his warm skin.

Lucia's hands came to rest gently on Paul's chest. As her fingers curled into the fabric of his shirt, she lifted her eyes to meet his. Deep brown gazed into hazel with an intensity of emotion behind it.

"You better come back to me," Lucia said softly but firmly. A hint of fear lingered in her tone.

Paul gave her a lopsided smirk, the playful one that always made her heart flutter. "Don't worry, I'll be back before you know it."

Lucia narrowed her eyes, not fully convinced. She held out her pinky finger. "Promise?"

Chuckling warmly, Paul hooked his pinky with hers and gave it a gentle shake. "Promise." He drew her closer then, lacing their fingers together and lifting their joined hands to brush a tender kiss across her knuckles. "I'll always come back to you."

Sam let out a sharp whistle, signalling it was time. As Paul turned to follow, Lucia caught his arm, pulling him back. Before he could react, her lips were on his in a searing kiss. He leaned into her embrace, savouring the feel of her against him.

As Paul withdrew, Lucia gazed up at him with glistening eyes. "I'll be waiting," she said, her voice thick with emotion.

Paul smiled and brushed his thumb along her cheek.
"Not for long, sweetheart."

With one last lingering look, he jogged to join his brothers. As one, the pack stripped off their clothes and allowed the burning heat to overtake their bodies. Fur sprouted across their skin as their forms lengthened and morphed. In seconds, where men once stood were now massive wolves.

Sam took the lead. With a howl to rally the others, he plunged into the forest. Paul and the remaining pack members followed, paws pounding the earth as they rushed to meet their fate.

As Lucia watched the last of the wolves vanish into the trees, Emily came to stand beside her. Her smile was soothing, though her own nerves shone through. To lighten the mood, she clapped her hands together and said brightly, "Now, how about we watch some movies and eat the snacks Jared and Embry thought they could hide?"

Kim and Lucia turned from the forest, grateful for the distraction. Though worry still lingered in their eyes, they smiled at Emily's suggestion.

"That sounds like a great idea," replied Kim letting Emily loop her arm through hers as they walked back to the house. The three women made their way inside, where Emily had set up some snacks on the coffee table in front of the couch. As Kim and Lucia settled into the plush cushions, Emily popped a DVD into the player.

"I found this real gem the other day, you have to see it," Emily said with a smirk as the opening credits began to roll.

It didn't take long for them to realize why she found it so amusing. The acting was stilted, the effects cheesy, and the plot nonsensical. Within minutes, they were in stitches over the ridiculousness unfolding on screen. To top it off, the producers really tried to recreate Star Wars with them having titled it Star Crash.

"Did he really just pull a laser sword out of his forehead?" gasped Lucia through peals of laughter.

"And what is she even wearing?" cackled Kim, clutching her sides. "That's not so much a costume as it is paint!"