THIRTY-ONE

As Christmas approached, a sense of calm settled over the town. The departure of the Cullens allowed the pack to breathe a collective sigh of relief. However, beneath the surface of calmness, there was a tinge of sadness that lingered. Bella Swan was no longer among them as she chose to live a life as an immortal.

To bring closure for Charlie, a funeral was held for Bella. The event was a sombre affair, filled with tears and heavy hearts. Charlie had grieved deeply for his daughter, fully aware that he would never lay eyes on her again. Bella had finally realized her desire to become a vampire, severing her ties to her human life forever.

During Charlie's grieving period, Lucia stood steadfastly by his side. Lucia understood the nature of Bella's transformation and the fact that she could never reenter their lives. Nevertheless, she remained a pillar of strength for Charlie in his darkest moments.

But, she wasn't needed for long because Charlie found solace in the company of Sue Clearwater. Their connection deepened, and they eventually began dating. The news didn't come as a surprise to those around them, as they had witnessed their growing bond since Harry's death.

Now, as the jolly holiday approached, snow gently descended from the sky, coating the pathways and landscape in a pristine white blanket. The sight of the snowflakes stirred a renewed sense of joy within Lucia, igniting her holiday spirit. She took it upon herself to adorn their home with festive Christmas decorations, infusing the space with warmth and merriment.

Paul observed with affection as his imprint flitted about the house, engrossed in the task of embellishing their surroundings. He didn't mind the holiday decor; in fact, he found it charming. Whenever Lucia became engrossed in her decorating endeavours, he would playfully sweep her away with kisses, eliciting sweet giggles from her.

Lucia laughed as Paul pulled her close, trying halfheartedly to wriggle away from his affectionate embrace. Her smile was warm and her eyes danced with mirth.

"Paul, let me go! I want to give you your gift," she said, still giggling. His hold was strong but gentle as always.

He nuzzled her neck playfully. "Can't it wait till morning? I'd rather unwrap you instead."

"It's Christmas Eve! I'm too excited to wait," she insisted. Summoning her inner strength, she gave a great shove and managed to slip from his arms and got up from the couch. Darting away swiftly, she picked up a perfectly wrapped package from under the tree and held it out to him with a triumphant grin.

"Go on, open it!" She urged, practically bouncing with anticipation. Her enthusiasm was infectious as always.

Paul chuckled, charmed as ever by her joy. "Alright, you win. Hand it over then."

She gave it to him and he carefully unwrapped the box. The box's exterior was smooth velvet, cool against the touch. It felt pleasingly luxurious for such a small item. A thin silver clasp, winking subtly in the soft lamplight, was all that secured the top.

When Paul lifted the clasp and opened the case, the interior surprised him. Instead of the expected black felt lining, the walls of the box were padded with satin of the richest cobalt. It made the simple ring, seated solitary in the centre, pop all the more.

The ring was a simple yet striking piece. The band was comprised of a thin strip of midnight black metal, cool and smooth to the touch. Wrapped around its centre was a delicate silver line, contrasting beautifully against the dark hue. Etched along the inside of the band in neat script were the words "Sei il mio tutto".

What impressed Paul most was the craftsmanship - the words were etched with such fine precision, as if by the most skilled of jewellers. One would have to hold it up close to notice the inscription at all. It seemed the ring had been designed specifically for him, as if from the first it knew he and he alone was destined to wear it.