THIRTY-TWO

The moon hung low in the night sky as the new year approached. On the secluded stretch of beach, the Quileute tribe had gathered to celebrate the close of the year and welcome the new one head-on. A huge bonfire crackled in the centre, its orange and red flames licking at the dark canopy above.

As the rhythmic beats of drums and flutes drifted over the cheers and laughter, Lucia swirled around the fire with the others.

The pounding rhythm of the drums filled Paul's blood as he watched Lucia spinning joyfully around the fire. Her brunette hair - which had grown to her ribcage over the past year - flew out behind her, catching the glow of the flames. When their eyes met, he grinned and stepped towards her, holding out his hands in invitation.

Lucia laughed as he swept her into the dance, twirling her effortlessly around the sand. The drums surged louder, matching their quickening pulse, and soon they were flying in dizzy circles. Breathless, Lucia threw her head back, letting her laughter ring up to the starry sky.

Eyeing her soft smile, Paul was struck by how beautiful she looked in the firelight. He pulled her closer, savouring the warmth of her slender body against his. As the music reached its crescendo, he lifted her from the ground and spun until the beach and sea melted into a blur of colour. When her feet touched down, Lucia's green eyes were shining. Gripping Paul's hands, she pulled him laughing back into the dance.

As they rejoined the dance, hands clasped, Lucia tugged playfully at Paul's arm, pulling him closer so her lips were at his ear. "You look too thoughtful over there," she chided in a teasing tone. "No serious thinking allowed on New Year's!"

Paul chuckled, trying to ignore the shiver that ran through him at the feel of her warm breath on his skin. Wrapping an arm more securely around her waist, he dipped his head so his mouth was near her ear in return. "Can't help it when such a beautiful woman has me distracted," he replied in a low, intimate murmur.

Lucia pulled back just enough to raise an eyebrow at him, her lips curving in amusement. "Beautiful, am I?" she questioned, equal parts flirtatious and coy.

"The most beautiful," Paul answered sincerely, meeting her dancing eyes without hesitation. Leaning in so his lips were a breath away from hers, he added in a smoother tone, "But I'd be happy to provide a... hands-on demonstration if you'd like further convincing."

Lucia tutted playfully and shook her head. "Getting a bit ahead of yourself there, aren't you?" she chided, though her eyes still danced with mirth.

Paul grinned unrepentantly. "Can't blame a man for trying with a woman as beautiful as you in his arms," he replied cheekily.

Lucia raised an eyebrow. "Horny is more like it."

Paul chuckled, gently squeezing her waist. "Only ever for you, sweet girl," he said warmly, his grin softening into a loving smile. Lifting one of her hands from around his neck, he pressed a lingering kiss to her knuckles. "You have quite the effect on me, you know."

Gazing into his eyes, Lucia's own playful expression melted into something deeper, full of care and affection to match his own. "I know," was all she said, squeezing his hand in return.

After gazing tenderly into Paul's eyes and telling him she knew the effect she had on him, Lucia's lips softened into a secret smile. Giving his hand a final squeeze, she pulled away, sliding her hands up his arms until they rested on his shoulders.

"As much as I'm enjoying this," she said playfully, "I promised Kim and Emily I'd catch up with them." She tilted her head towards where her friends were chatting animatedly near the edge of the firelight.

Paul slid his hands down to her waist, holding her lightly as their bodies still swayed to the music. "Do you have to go now?" he pouted in mock complaint, even as his eyes smiled warmly at her.