Arc 2, Chapter 43: A Sheep in Wolve's Clothing.

TW: TERMINAL ILLNESS

[Not a very long chapter]

———

Paper woke up and groggily looked over to OJ who was removing the cork from his head and placing it down. He stood up and exited the room. Paper sat up and rubbed his eyes. And then sat back in his bed. He glanced at the ground beside the bed. "You can come out now..." He muttered.

Looseleaf floated out from beneath the bed. A scowl in his face.

"What's that look for?" Paper asked with narrow groggy eyes, as he pulled his knees up to his chest.

"You made me sleep on the floor." Looseleaf gritted through his teeth.

"You said you didn't want to be seen...! I'm not sure what else you wanted from me..." Paper muttered as he hugged his knees.

"Uh, not make me sleep on the FLOOR." He seethed his eyes sparking a blood red momentarily. "You didn't even give me a pillow!"

"Well, I'm sorry... But me AND OJ like to have a lot of pillows. If I took one, he'd know something was up..." Paper frowned.

"Then kick OJ out of the room..."

"IM NOT KICKING MY HUSBAND OUT OF THE ROOM LOOSELEAF." Paper growled.

"You're no fun..." Looseleaf rolled his eyes dramatically.

"Yeah, yeah..." Paper chuckled. And pulled his blanket off of him.

...

Silence filled the room.

"I don't get how you do it..." Looseleaf muttered.

"Do what...?" Paper tilted his head to the side in confusion from Looseleaf's random statement.

"Be so... Nice... Love and care about people... I mean, What's the point if you're gonna die and lose them one day? Why TRUST me?! I just don't get it... Are you naive? Or just a straight up idiot?!" Looseleaf growled.

Paper went silent. "Is... Is that really how you think?" Paper asked in a sorrow filled tone.

"Can you just answer the damn question?!" Looseleaf shouted.

"I love people— because I do...? It's not something that's forced, nor is it something that can be explained. I just do." Paper frowned.

"Do you wish you didn't? Doesn't it make you feel— fucking... WEAK or something?" He muttered.

"No, it makes me feel cared for. And happy." Paper tried to explain.

"That's bullshit... You must have some other reason." Looseleaf flew up to Paper.

"No...?"

Looseleaf looked angry that he couldn't understand this...

Paper realized this and perked up worriedly, "You don't need to understand it... Love and empathy doesn't come easy, or at all for some people." Paper gave a comforting smile.

"Just— just shut up... you... y.. I don't know anymore..." He sat next to the bed.

Paper sighed softly and then slowly got out of, and made the bed. He glanced down at Looseleaf every now and again, thinking...

Maybe there was more to him then what meets the eye.

———