𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. celebrating the annual 'betray someone you deeply adore' day

ꗃ 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓮𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽.
❪   celebrating the annual
'betray someone you
deeply adore' day...     ❫

𝓦ho would have known this was how my summer was going to turn out? I had just expected an endless amount of blue pancakes and laying in bed, wondering how I differ from everyone else

𝓦ho would have known this was how my summer was going to turn out? I had just expected an endless amount of blue pancakes and laying in bed, wondering how I differ from everyone else. but it seems that I wouldn't have to wonder about that anymore. now that I've found out I was a demigod. a daughter of poseidon. oh, my brother too.

no one would have seen it coming either. the events that are about to unfold. I, brielle hali jackson, am going to fight the god of war. but to be quite frank, the only thing i'm worried about right now, is that if my friends back at yancy academy were here, they'd be betting on ares to win.

combat made me cogitate the moments the son of hermes taught me how to fight.

"look, you didn't ask to be a half blood" he started "but you are one. that makes you part of something bigger than yourself."

thursday afternoon, three days after I'd arrived at camp half blood, I had my first sword fighting lesson. everybody from cabin eleven gathered in the big circular arena, where luke would be our instructor.

we were training on dueling in pairs. luke announced he would be my partner, since this was my first time. "good luck" one of the campers told me. "maybe go a little easy on me" I yelled towards luke, making him smile. unlike the camper who snorted. totally was about to make fun of me.

he was demonstrating a disarming technique: how to twist the enemy's blade with the flat of your own sword

"we keep sparring until one of us pulls it off. Ready, aurora?" I scoffed at the nickname but nodded, and luke came after me. somehow, I kept him from getting a shot at the hilt of my sword.

my senses opened up. I saw his attacks coming. I countered. I stepped forward and tried a thrust of my own. luke deflected it easily, but I saw a change in his face. his eyes narrowed, and he started to press me with more force.

the sword grew heavy in my hand. the balance wasn't right. I knew it was only a matter of seconds before luke took me down, so I figured, what the heck?

I tried the disarming manoeuvre. my blade hit the base of luke's and I twisted, putting my whole weight into a downward thrust.

clang! lukes sword rattled against the stones. the tip of my blade was a couple of centimetres from his undefended chest.

the other campers were silent. I lowered my sword. "um, sorry" for a moment, even luke was too stunned to speak.