Tactical Triumph - Chapter 11

"Captain, you don't seem yourself," Ruby'ck observed, concern etched in the lines of their expression.

A somber hush settled over the group as Ruby'ck broke her usual silence. The collective astonishment mirrored in everyone's eyes, for she was typically the quiet observer, and her words carried an unexpected weight that momentarily stilled the atmosphere.

"I'm just a regular girl, unlike all of you who possess exceptional strength and intelligence. However, one thing I've come to realize is that, despite my ordinary nature, I can discern the weight of worry in others with just a glance. Captain, you seem troubled," expressed Ruby'ck, her words tinged with a hint of melancholy as she acknowledged her perceived lack amidst extraordinary individuals and expressed concern for their leader.

Meet Ruby'ck, an integral part of the Renaissance band. Unlike her extraordinary companions, she doesn't boast impressive strength, speed, or intellectual prowess. In a group marked by exceptional abilities, she stands as an ordinary human. Yet, her exceptional quality lies in her emotional intelligence, a rare gift that allows her to decipher emotions with a single glance. Ruby'ck possesses an innate ability to read people based on their expressions and feelings, making her a valuable asset in understanding the human aspects of the band's endeavors. It's noteworthy that she deliberately refrains from extensive training under Gargeal, the mentor responsible for honing the remarkable strengths of her fellow members, emphasizing her uniqueness amidst the band's extraordinary dynamics.

Standing at a petite 5'4 and weighing 48 kg, Ruby'ck, a girl with captivating brown hair and intense black eyes, possesses a distinct presence within the Renaissance band.  She's currently 18 years old. Her unassuming appearance belies the absence of a conventional lethal weapon; instead, she has honed her skills with a leather bullwhip, a tool meant for capturing foes. Ruby'ck, despite not embodying any of the Seven Deadly Sins, holds a pivotal role within the group, injecting a lively atmosphere that crucially balances the intensity of her comrades. Her absence would render the Renaissance's journey solemn and grim, dominated solely by the weight of their lethal pursuits.

 Her absence would render the Renaissance's journey solemn and grim, dominated solely by the weight of their lethal pursuits

Ruby'ck's face

Zach locked eyes with her, his thoughts racing to craft a response that wouldn't heighten the tension, all while the scrutiny of everyone's eyes and ears remained fixated on the unfolding conversation.

"It's not of significance. What truly counts is our immediate response to the looming threat from our adversaries. Delaying action could prove fatal," Zach asserted, steering away from the topic that could unravel more emotions.

Ruby'ck's eyebrows furrowed, a subtle melancholy settling as her concern for Zach went unacknowledged.

The rapid transformation of Ruby'ck's countenance from a worrisome demeanor to one of profound sadness didn't escape the notice of any member present. Their collective awareness of her emotional shift hung heavy in the air, an unspoken acknowledgment of the weight carried by a single expression. It painted a poignant tableau, each member grappling with the silent echoes of her sadness, a shared somber undercurrent that momentarily eclipsed the urgency of the impending threat.

Despite noticing the shift in her expression, Zach pressed on with his statements, determined to keep the focus on the impending dangers at hand.

"Back to what I was saying earlier. As the sun sinks beneath the horizon today, we're abandoning this refuge. Time is our ally, but not an infinite one. Gather your essentials swiftly, and remember, anything that could betray our whereabouts must be eradicated. Burn the evidence; leave no trace. Gargeal, Qarek, and Andhur are out there, scouting for a new haven, possibly 500 km north of this very hideout. Considering the current location they occupy, the journey to reach them would span an estimated five days, factoring in the variable terrain, potential obstacles, and the pace at which we can traverse the distance. To rendezvous with them, we'll embark Won a perilous journey. Our path lies among towering trees, a maze of branches shielding us from prying eyes. We will ascend the sturdy, towering trees, deftly navigating our way by propelling from one substantial branch to the next, executing each leap with a precision born from familiarity with the forest canopy. That way, we'll be leaving no imprints on the forest floor, evading both pursuit and the noses of tracking dogs they'll deploy in their search," declared Zach, his words carrying the weight of urgency and strategic resolve.

Zach's words carved through the silence, a momentary pause that gripped the room in heightened anticipation.

"Time to move, everyone," declared Zach, the fire of determination flickering in the eyes of each band member. In that charged moment, the weight of his command echoed, a rallying cry to face the impending challenges that lay ahead.