Chapter 14

𝕾𝖔𝖓𝖌 𝕿𝖎𝖙𝖑𝖊: 𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖂𝖆𝖘𝖙𝖊 𝕸𝖞 𝕿𝖎𝖒𝖊 𝖇𝖞 𝕯𝖆𝖞𝖔𝖓

***

Ah, finally, I could smell the fresh, rosy breezes coming from my room. The rustling of the trees makes it more serene compared to the scorching heat of the sun. But still, today would be the happiest!

"Milady! Please step back a bit from leaning too much on the stool."

How could I ever forget the ever-warning tone of Bertha?

"Milady, please don't chuckle when it's for your safety." she said, accompanied by the sound of a basket falling to the ground.

"All right, Bertha, just as you said," I chuckled, picking up the basket full of laundry and coming out of the room.

I could hear Bertha's screams right behind me with her exhausting breaths. I guess this will be something I miss when going to the countryside estate.

"Miss Nelda, here is Bertha's laundry. Oh, and when Bertha comes, please tell her the opposite way I went," I said with a wink.

Just like Nelda, our household's chief maid, opened her mouth, I had already disappeared right in front of her with a chuckle again.

"MILADY, WHERE ARE YOU?" And just right beside me, I heard Bertha's most powerful screams. I just shook my head and hummed to where I had to go now. Step one is to prepare my clothes.

I looked at some of the dresses, and they were all extravagant, so I picked the plain ones. Step two is to create commoner clothes and a wig, which I had already prepared in advance the other day. I looked at the things and checked my lists. Lastly, to look in the mirror and remind myself that when I go to this faraway land from the capital, all my feelings will be renewed.

I took that as a chant and proceeded to clean myself. Right after doing so, someone knocked on the door, and I saw Mother with a smile. Though I could see that her smile never reached her ears,. For some odd reason, I felt uneasy.

"I guess you just needed to rest, Viona. Besides, Bertha would miss you a lot more than we do." Mother came hugging me, and I hugged her back. She felt warm and light.

Still, I needed this opportunity to clear my mind and my feelings for Klein.

"I know Bertha will be finally at ease, though," we chuckled at my words as we talked for a few minutes before giving me something.

"Then when you come home, please send this to a friend of mine there. I know you will find her, Viona," Mother said, handing me a letter before waving her goodbye. As the door closed, I looked at the letter, and it was plain.

It doesn't have any seal, and the envelope is brown, like it was picked from an old Treasury box. Shaking my head, I put it in my bag and went ahead towards the duke.

To my surprise, I knocked three times, and there were no responses.

"Milady, what brings you here?" Benjamin asked. He had been working for our household for as long as my father was still a young child. He had a few wrinkles on his forehead, and all of his hair was already white.

Still, he looks young when he smiles whenever he sees me.

"Benjamin, thank goodness, you're here!"

"Yes, Milady," he said with soft chuckles.

I smiled.

"Is my father in his office now?"

"Oh, didn't my lord tell you, Milady?"