Chapter 1

Many years ago, a girl named Alyssa was born. She lived in a magical world where there were magical beings, talking animals, and monsters, but they kept to the woods. Alyssa never - to her disappointment - saw anything enchanting. In fact, her life was pretty normal. Alyssa was an only child, and grew into a lively, delightful girl who loved her parents very much. All her neighbors appreciated her because she was caring and compassionate to everybody she came across. Alyssa loved the outdoors as much as the indoors and had lots of things to do in both. She would draw, bake, and sing inside, and frolic and explore outside in her parent's large piece of land. Alyssa liked animals, especially rabbits and horses and enjoyed gymnastics, parkour, and horseback riding.

One day, after she had a lunch of soup and salad, her father, Mr. Carter, clambered into the house hurriedly.

"I can't believe it," murmured Mr. Carter,  pulling his hat off.

"What, Dad?" Alyssa asked. Her father was a construction worker, who often did jobs for the big village they lived in and some of the neighboring villages. It seemed everybody needed his skills.

Mrs. Carter looked up from her chair. She did not work because Mr. Carter's job provided her bough money, but she could make dresses. She did occasionally for Alyssa or herself.

"A couple men set up traps not far into the woods around the village, and they caught a talking bear! Craziest thing you ever saw," Mr. Carter recounted, explaining how it took a couple men to drag it into the town square while he was working on a leak. "People went crazy!"

"But, Dad, why were they so surprised? I thought most people have seen something magical in their life. The baker claims he's gone face-to-face with a goblin and the candlemaker says she's seen a forest fairy before!" Alyssa said.

"I don't know. But I do know that some people just need some excitement," Mr. Carter said.

Alyssa smiled. "I wish I could go out and see something like-"

"No." Mr. and Mrs. Carter had said it in unison.

"I know, I know. I'm not allowed to go beyond the property. 'Cause it's dangerous and stuff." She sighed.

"Honey, we are only trying to keep you safe," Mrs. Carter said.

"But I REALLY want to see something magical at least once in my life. But I guess I'll never have that experience..." Alyssa got up and started to trudge up the stairs.

...

"Oh, all right! All right!" Mr. Carter burst out. He wanted Alyssa to have a special memory of witnessing a sight like it. "I'll take you to see the bear."

Alyssa squealed and ran back to hug him. "Thanks, Dad!" Mrs. Carter looked at her husband, shaking her head.

"Hon, it's a bear. Do you realize how many people could get hurt?" Mrs. Carter said.

"Come on, Mom! I'll keep a good distance away from it. I just want to hear it talk. Pleaaaaaaaaaaase?"

Mrs. Carter pursed her lips and asked, "Will it be perfectly safe for her?" Mr. Carter nodded.

"Fine...But be careful, you two," Mrs. Carter said, getting up and hugging them both.

As Alyssa and Mr. Carter walked out onto their porch, Mr. Carter turned to Alyssa and said, "Now, stay by me. The men will have guns to harm it if it tries to do anything funny."

But before Alyssa could answer, not far off into the village, there was a bloodcurdling scream.