Chapter 16

𝕾𝖔𝖓𝖌 𝕿𝖎𝖙𝖑𝖊: 𝕾𝖈𝖆𝖗𝖊𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝖒𝖞 𝕲𝖚𝖎𝖙𝖆𝖗 𝖇𝖞 𝕺𝖑𝖎𝖛𝖎𝖆 𝕽𝖔𝖉𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖔

***

"It's a long story but if you want to know, it's because----" his words stopped. The silence went overboard the eerie darkness that surrounded. Until the unfamiliar sounds came to be louder than before.

"Klein, what's happening? What are those sounds---"

"Shh," Klein put his finger between my lips and looked at my eyes as if he had never seen anything like this before. But then, there's this unfamiliar gaze that he kept on minding me, as if he was someone that came from the future, someone that pushed me to go back in here.

"Just do as I say, Viona, remember, if I count to three, never let go of my hands," he said.

His voice got tainted. Every breath he gave me felt like ice. His gaze pierced through my skin and yet, this side of him was the one thing that I had never seen before, before I went back in time.

"One....two....t-three!" he uttered.

In the blink of an eye, every tree continued to move, my breath got caught up in my lungs, and I still kept a look at the hand that tied their fingers to mine.

The night was cold but perhaps it's the only thing that's already keeping me warm.

We continued to run like horses on the side of the pathways. It wasn't until Klein decided to look around that he made me lean over the tree beside us.

Our breaths complement each other, our hands got a hold on our knees, and our eyes that long to see the light, when everything faded away like darkness.

"Viona, come here," Klein uttered again, with a few breaths in the middle of his words. I grabbed a spoonful of his hands as he led me closer to his back.

"For the most part, if I got caught, you should run for your life and don't mind me, okay?"

"You make me feel confused Klein, you said earlier that this forest is a haven for lost people, but now it feels like they're not only lost. Are they dangerous?"

I heard him sigh when the silence got the better of him. He takes a few more gulps and holds his forehead with his free hand.

I continued to stare at him, waiting for his response. He looked at me, his mouth opened but it closed again. His stare felt like a word that wanted me to be silent.

Yet, I couldn't feel like I wanted to be in this moment. I need to know what's going on in his head right now because it felt like he became someone I knew well, someone who had changed over two years.

"If you're asking that they're dangerous then yes, they are indeed dangerous, Viona. And trust me, you don't want to know a matter of this..."

"Klein, I have another question," I said. I looked at him putting both of my hands over his shoulders and I didn't care if I cornered a soon-to-be Duke of the Hendlich household or even a strong knight like him.

For now, I wanted to hear the words that he had kept in his mouth.

"Am I your best friend?" I asked.

Perhaps, that word caught him off guard because the moment that I asked him those, I saw the Klein that had been with me throughout those ten years. The old Klein is still young and innocent.

I could see my whole reflection in those few seconds from his vast eyes until they became thin and the only thing that made me shriek was the dagger that he caught on his right hand while I stumbled on his chest hearing the fast beating inside.