010 | Thinking 'Bout You

〰

Shuffling feet echoed through the air as Carl and Elodie trudged along the highway, keeping out of the way of the adults who were repositioning all the abandoned cars for a quick exit once Sophia returned. Elodie kept her gaze fixed on her feet, feeling her entire body heating up under the scorching sun. She felt a bit dizzy and realized she hadn't had water in a while. Jamie wasn't there to remind her to drink.

"So, uh, you think we'll find anything good out here?" Carl finally broke the silence, his voice hesitant.

Elodie shrugged, kicking a pebble out of her path. "Dunno. We can try, though."

Lifting her head, she saw Carl fiddling with a shirt he had found in the trunk of one of the cars. It was a gray shirt with forest green sleeves and top ridge, simple but cool. Definitely different from the dirt-covered flannel and shirt he was wearing now.

"Do you think they'll find Sophia?" Carl then asked, clearly uncomfortable with the silence, unlike Elodie.

She furrowed her eyebrows, nodding immediately. "Yes. Daryl can track."

"Okay," Carl replied, though not entirely convinced.

They walked in silence for a few moments longer, occasionally peering through the windows of the cars they passed but finding nothing of interest. Elodie huffed, wiping some sweat off her hairline and squinting up at the sun. She shot it a mean look for making them all so tired. Searching would be much easier with a gust of cool wind.

"Here," Carl offered, holding out his bottle of water to her. "Haven't seen you drink anything in a while."

Elodie nodded gratefully, flashing him a quick smile as she took the water, unscrewing the cap and taking a sip. The liquid flowing down her throat felt refreshing; she hadn't realized how dry it had been. "Thank you."

Suddenly, Carl stopped by a rusted-out car they were passing, pressing his hand against the dirtied window and peering inside, standing on his tiptoes because he was barely tall enough to do so. Elodie watched him curiously, wondering what he had found.

"What?" she called out.

"There's something inside," Carl said, excitement evident in his voice as he reached up to grab the door handle.

He swung the door open in one motion, and Elodie jumped back as an arm lazily fell to the side of a rotten corpse, previously restrained by the door. She then saw what Carl had been talking about; there was a hatchet attached to the belt of the body, along with a ton of other weapons carefully wrapped. This person had been prepared. Yet, they didn't make it. It's a shame how unfair the world is now.

"I'm gonna get it." Carl placed a foot on the floor of the car, pulling himself up so he could reach inside. Elodie watched nervously, not wanting to know what would happen if a walker was in the back of the car. She stepped closer, keeping an eye on Carl.