Chapter 17

𝕾𝖔𝖓𝖌 𝕿𝖎𝖙𝖑𝖊: 𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖞𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖕𝖘 𝖇𝖞 𝖂𝖎𝖑𝖉𝖋𝖑𝖔𝖜𝖊𝖗𝖘

***

"It had been an honor to finally meet you, Lady Viona," the deep voice of a man echoed. I looked in front and I saw a familiar face. He had auburn hair, with a hat on top which he had already on his wrinkled hands. He had eyes like silver where each of its edges curled like an arc and an uplifting corner of his mouth says everything, I had to remember this man.

"It's also a pleasure to meet you here, for a very long time, Count Arnite," I grabbed a hold of his hands that felt like soft linen, and in return, he dragged me into a deep warm hug.

The Count had been my father's best friend for as long as I could remember, or perhaps even before I was born. My father would always talk about this man who had auburn hair and a funny face and say how he saved his life back then.

He even said that I had already met his best friend but I couldn't remember where or when. Perhaps, I was still a very young child when he came into our household.

Count Arnite talked for a very long time as soon as we had our seats on the manor, and all I could do was respond with a cup of tea in a second, and a corresponding nod when he continued to ask me for a yes or no question.

Then a sudden gaze from the sun's light came invading the guest room. The tea became cold, but the ripple from it felt warm leading me back to two days ago after waking up from a hazy scenario where Klein had been by my side all the time.

"Oh, and I forgot to ask you, Lady Viona before I leave," Count Arnite paused.

"Please remember to be very cautious on the Hendlich's son, Lady Viona..." He said. I felt the warmth of his hand and the grip of them. I looked into his eyes, and I saw my reflection very clear and concise.

I don't know what he meant about Klein, but there's something off when he mentioned Klein's surname rather than his name.

Or maybe I was just thinking too hard?

"Count Arnite, if I may..." but I wasn't able to finish my words when he chuckled.

"Alright, then I guess it's time for me to go. If you want to, please visit my manor. Oh, and I almost forgot again, silly me. Here is my invitation, please don't forget about me and my son," he said and grabbed the doorknob before I even grabbed the chance to ask what he meant by his words from earlier.

Leaving my hand unattended in mid-air.

All that he left were comforting words and a letter. He even mentioned his son. Who wouldn't know about his son when he had been a top scholar at the Walfrugis Academy? I once saw a portrait of his son in my first life, he had the same auburn hair and silver eyes as his father.

Sometimes, he would be often compared to the old man, but when it comes to intelligence his will go beyond the Count.

I remember our first time meeting each other, and that was when I was in the execution arena. The look on his face made me feel like a thousand inexplicable shivers running down my spine. As if he had these black shadows corrupting every space he had on his body.

The Count couldn't attend, because he was ill, so his son insisted even though he prohibited him from going concerning my father. In the end, there was nothing I could do. I was powerless back then. Even a simple gaze from afar managed to break me down to a cold thin of air.

But in this lifetime, I need to be strong and have the path that will lead me to happiness, and by doing so, I am now looking at a piece of blank paper from my desk.