011 | Talk More Than A Damn Parrot

〰

Elodie trotted behind Daryl as the group split up to cover more ground in the woods. She kept her eyes trained on his back, trying her best to match his pace. It was hard to do so; her legs were like a thousand times more smaller than his, so she was basically running to keep up with him.

Daryl suddenly stopped in his tracks, causing Elodie to nearly stumble into him. She quickly regained her balance, looking up at him with a puzzled expression. He turned to her, his eyes narrowing.

"What're ya doin'?" he said.

Elodie looked up at him, shrugging. "Stickin' to ya like glue."

Daryl groaned and dragged a hand down his face, looking around to try and find anyone else that was still closeby. He didn't see anyone though, so he looked back at Elodie, who was looking up at him like she was waiting for him to say something.

"I said pick—"

"Pick someone. I did. I pick you," Elodie interrupted, already feeling embarrassed. Did Daryl not want her there? Had she been wrong to think he'd want to protect her?

Daryl's expression hardened as he shook his head. "I ain't your babysitter, kid. Ya should stick with the others."

"Can't," Elodie explained, nervously fiddling with her fingers as she glanced up at Daryl. "I don't wanna go with Shane, 'cause he's bein' mean and I don't know why. Rick and Lori are busy watchin' out for Carl, and I don't wanna make their job harder. I don't wanna go with Andrea either, 'cause I don't really know her. And I like Glenn, but he's still scared of the walkers."

Once she stopped talking, Daryl just stared at her for a few seconds. "Girl, ya talk more than a damn parrot," he muttered under his breath, more to himself than to her. He scratched the back of his head, torn between frustration and a strange sense of responsibility.

Elodie bit her lip, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. She hadn't meant to babble on like that, but the words just spilled out in her nervousness. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other, waiting for Daryl's response.

Daryl let out a heavy sigh, looking down at the blonde girl. And she was just that; a little girl—a child—stuck in the mess that was the new world. She was just a kid, lost and scared in this harsh world, looking for someone to lean on. And for some weird reason, she had chosen him.

With a gruff voice, he muttered, "Just stick close, alright?"

Elodie's face lit up with a wide grin, and she nodded eagerly, her blonde curls bouncing with each movement. "Like glue."

Daryl nodded in acknowledgment, gesturing for her to walk alongside him. Elodie obeyed, staying close to Daryl as he tightened his grip on his crossbow, his gaze scanning the trees for any potential threats. Meanwhile, Elodie found herself fascinated by the snapping of twigs beneath her feet. She purposely sought out sticks to step on, enjoying the sound they made.