~Chapter 10~

Annabeth ran up to Chiron and hugged him tightly, her voice trembling with worry. "Chiron, what's happening? You're not... leaving?" Chiron had been like a second father to her, and the thought of him departing was unsettling.

Chiron ruffled her hair affectionately and gave her a warm smile. "Hello, child. And Percy, my goodness. You've grown over the year!"

"Clarisse said you were..."

"Fired," Chiron said with a hint of dark humor. "Ah, well, someone had to take the blame. Lord Zeus was most upset. The tree he'd created from the spirit of his daughter, poisoned! Mr. D had to punish someone."

"But this is crazy!" Annabeth protested. "Chiron, you couldn't have had anything to do with poisoning Thalia's tree!"

"Nevertheless," Chiron sighed, "some in Olympus do not trust me now, under the circumstances."

"What circumstances?" I asked, eager for answers.

Chiron's expression darkened, and he continued packing his saddlebags. Taylor, still fascinated by him, couldn't help but whimper softly as she stared at him. "So are you half donkey or something?"

Chiron looked at her with a touch of amusement. "My dear young ogre! I am a centaur."

"Chiron," I pressed, "What about the tree? What happened?"

He shook his head sadly. "The poison used on Thalia's pine is something quite powerful, Percy. Some venom even I have never seen. It must have come from a monster quite deep in the pits of Tartarus."

"Then we know who's responsible. The one demigod that betrayed us for the service of the Titan Kro-"

"Do not invoke the titan lord's name, Percy. Especially not here, not now."

"Right, well, it is quite obvious it was Luke who did this."

"Perhaps," Chiron said, his tone cautious. "But I fear I am being held responsible because I did not prevent it and I cannot cure it. The tree has only a few weeks of life left unless..."

"Unless what?" Annabeth pressed.

"No," Chiron said. "A foolish thought. The whole valley is feeling the shock of the poison. The magical borders are deteriorating. The camp itself is dying. Only one source of magic would be strong enough to reverse the poison, and it was lost centuries ago."

Why doesn't he just say it, instead of pulling this bullshit. I sigh in annoyance, Chiron will never change.

Chiron closed his saddlebag. He pressed the stop button on his boom box. Then he turned and rested his hand on my shoulder, looking me straight in the eyes. "Percy, you must promise me that you will not act rashly. I told your mother I did not want you to come here at all this summer. It's much too dangerous. But now that you are here, stay here. Train hard. Learn to fight. But do not leave."

"Don't worry, I will be fine."

"Just be careful, my child," Chiron cautioned, giving me a soft smile.

Annabeth was trying to hold back tears, but Chiron brushed a tear from her cheek. "Stay with Percy, child," he told her. "Keep him safe. The prophecy—remember it!"

"I—I will," Annabeth replied, her voice quivering. Seriously talking about the Great Prophecy right infront of me... seriously how stupid can he be.

"Chiron..." Annabeth's voice trembled. "You told me the gods made you immortal only as long as you were needed to train heroes. If they dismiss you from camp—"

"Swear you will do your best to keep Percy from danger," Chiron insisted. "Swear upon the River Styx."

"I—I swear it upon the River Styx," Annabeth said, and thunder rumbled in the background.