~Chapter 24~

"Get rid of it!" Annabeth's voice pierced through the chaos, her eyes locked ahead as she held the reigns. Trying to keep Lucifer under control.

As the tension mounted, I knew I had to act swiftly. Activating the watch on my wrist, its transformation was instantaneous. The once modest timepiece expanded before my eyes, its metal components spiraling outward like the ancient shutter of a camera. In moments, it morphed into a Spartan Aspis, a formidable shield spanning four feet in width. Its surface gleamed with polished bronze, engraved with intricate designs.

Raising the shield just in time, Beckendorf's sword clashed against its surface, the sound reverberating through the air like thunder. To his astonishment, his blade shattered upon impact, leaving him momentarily stunned. "What?" he shouted, his disbelief evident in his voice.

But before he could react, I seized the opportunity, delivering a powerful blow to his chest with my free hand. With a forceful thrust, I sent him hurtling out of his chariot, his body tumbling across the dusty terrain.

Meanwhile, the Greek fire sparked ominously, threatening to ignite into a deadly inferno. With quick thinking, I encased the pouch in shadows, concealing its volatile contents before swiftly dislodging it from its place. In one fluid motion, I hurled it toward the Hephaestus chariot, aiming directly at the driver's feet.

In the blink of an eye, the driver was faced with a split-second decision. He luckily made the right choice, diving out of the chariot just as it careened away. The explosive impact sent flames billowing into the air, the chariot engulfed in a green inferno.

The metal horses, now seemingly short-circuited, veered off course, dragging the burning wreckage in their wake. Clarisse and the Stoll brothers, caught in the chaos, had to swerve abruptly to avoid the dangerous path of destruction.

With the finish line in sight, Annabeth expertly guided the chariot through the final turn, her skillful maneuvering defying all odds. I braced myself for the inevitable capsize, but to my astonishment, she brought us through unscathed, spurring Lucifer onward as we crossed the finish line in a blaze of glory.

The crowd erupted into a deafening roar, their cheers echoing off the walls of the arena. As our chariot came to a halt, our friends swarmed around us, their jubilant cheers mingling with the cacophony of sound.

But amidst the celebration, Annabeth's voice rang out, cutting through the din. "Hold up! Listen!" she called, her words commanding the attention of the crowd. "It wasn't just us!"

Despite the reluctance of the crowd to quiet down, Annabeth persisted. "We couldn't have done it without somebody else!" she declared, her gaze shifting to Taylor, my sister, who stood nearby, her cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

The crowd's response was immediate, their cheers swelling to a crescendo of applause. Annabeth seized the moment, planting a kiss on my cheek, igniting another wave of exuberant cheering from the spectators.

Amidst the jubilation, the Athena cabin emerged from the throng, lifting me, Annabeth, and Taylor onto their shoulders with an exultant shout. Together, we were carried toward the winner's platform, where Chiron stood waiting, a laurel wreath in hand, ready to bestow upon us the honor we had earned.

<------------------------->

That afternoon was one of the happiest I'd ever spent at camp, which maybe goes to show, you never know when your world is about to be rocked to pieces.

Grover announced that he'd be able to spend the rest of the summer with us before resuming his quest for Pan. His bosses at the Council of Cloven Elders were so impressed that he hadn't gotten himself killed and had cleared the way for future searchers, that they granted him a two-month furlough and a new set of reed pipes. The only bad news: Grover insisted on playing those pipes all afternoon long, and his musical skills hadn't improved much. He played "YMCA," and the strawberry plants started going crazy, wrapping around our feet like they were trying to strangle us. I guess I couldn't blame them.