I Get Sad

I blearily opened my eyes as the sound of coughing suddenly came from my twin sister's room. I got up and walked across the cold wooden floor to the hall, and opened the door. I walked over to my sister's room quietly and then walked in. "Melody?" I whispered, "Are you ok?"

She slowly sat up in her bed and looked at me with green bloodshot eyes. I was sure mine looked the same way. "I feel worse today Emerson. I don't know what's happening to me, but I'm really scared," she finally uttered, as she started tearing up. I start walking over to her, but she suddenly puts her hand up. "Don't," she says. "I don't want to risk you getting sick either."

"I don't care Melody. You're my twin. I can't just leave you!" I stress.

"Don't come near me. I won't let you. You're my twin as well, and if you love me, you'll leave."

My throat tightens, and I finally turn away from her and walk back to my room. Why is this happening? I think to myself. Why is everyone getting sick?

Over the past few weeks, the whole town has gotten sick. There is a disease spreading through the human county, and our government is freaking out. Nobody knows how it started or where it came from because our walls are supposed to protect us from the other species out there that want to hurt us, like the fairies, dwarves, trolls, wizards, witches, and most dangerous of all, the elves. The government has been trying to find a cure for the sickness, but no one has been able to. So far, nobody has died from the sickness, but it gives people a fever, achiness, a headache, tightening of your muscles, and vomiting. It spreads very quickly, and nobody knows what to do.

I finally get in my bathroom and turn on the shower, then jump in before the water has time to warm up. I shiver at the sudden coldness and hunch into a ball to keep myself warm. The water finally turns warm, and I lift my face and feel the water cascading down my scalp and back. I wash my hair, then get out of the shower and put on my clothes, which are blue jeans, a white T-shirt and my black and white tennis shoes. I look at myself in the mirror, looking into my bloodshot green eyes. and look at my wet brown hair that hangs to my waist. I throw my hair into two Dutch braids and walk out of my bathroom.

I grab a banana from the kitchen and then write a note to my mom that says 'Just going on a walk and maybe some exploring. Be back before dinner.' I hang it on the fridge and then walk out the door. I breathe in the smell of baking bread from the bakery down the street and tilt my face up to feel the sun on my face. I can already feel myself relaxing. I finally open my eyes, and for the first time in a while, I can feel a smile on my face.

I take off down the street, waving to the people I know who are out and about. They wave back, and I smile wider before seeing my destination; the white and blue house at the end of the road. I stop in front of it and then walk up its walkway and knock on the door. A woman with brown hair then opened the door.

"Hi, Mrs. Orwell! How are you?" I ask.

"I'm fine Emerson. How are you?"

"Well, I'm fine too I guess. My sister got worse, but I'm sure she'll get better soon. Hey, where's Camryn? Is she here? If so, would it be ok if she and I went to the mountains?" I finally finish, out of breath.

"I'm sorry dear... but Camryn won't be able to go today."

"Why not?"

"Because she contracted the sickness. She woke up with the starting symptoms, and we don't want to risk her getting anyone else sick. Thank you for coming over Emerson. I'll tell Camryn you visited and I hope you have a good day." Camryn's mom finished.

"I-uh-ok," I stuttered, then said goodbye and turned around as I felt a sinking feeling in my chest. Everyone in my life I care about is getting sick! I thought.

I continued walking, unconsciously winding through the streets. My feet finally stopped at the base of one of my favorite hiking trails. I looked up, then smiled a little. My feet knew where I wanted to go before I even knew myself. I started up the trail, looking at every butterfly and plant that I passed. I approached the forest and walked underneath the trees, looking up at the sunlight that filtered through the branches and leaves, creating a constantly shifting pattern on the floor. I felt at peace here. It was so calm and still, quiet except for the birds trilling and the deer prancing. My worries melted away, and I was brought back to the past, when I used to come here with my dad.

"Here Emerson, look at this plant. It's called Oregano. You can use it for respiratory issues, dietary issues, and even bacterial issues! Oh! And look at this one! This one is Yarrow. You can use this one for..." The memory fades away.

I continue walking up the path until I find a rock that looks familiar. My heartbeat quickens as I look around me, my eyes finally landing on the faint trail. I follow it, treading uphill until the path starts leveling out. Finally, I see a brown boxy shape in the distance. I start running towards it, flooded by the memories of my past; the days I spent with my dad in this cabin, when I learned to swim in the lake right next to it, when I went exploring and learning about all the plants and animals in the forest with him.

I clatter onto the porch, breathing heavily as I put my hands behind my head. It's been a while since I've ran. That felt amazing.

I feel a smile on my face as I twist the doorknob, the swollen wood scraping across the floor as it opens inward. Suddenly, my smile drops. There's a fire going in the stone fireplace. Who has been here? Or...who is here?