4

*** Yashoda ***

KNOCK KNOCK

I opened the door to find Vinod deversa who greeted me with a smile.

"Good morning, bhabhisa," he said and moved a little to the side to reveal a women with her eyes lowered shyly looking at the ground. "My wife Shanthi!" he introduced.

Shanthi remained silent.

"Shanthi, my dear say something," he gently reminded.

"Good morning bhabhisa," she shyly replied.

"Good morning Shanthi," I replied equally hesitant.

Vinod looked at me and then at his wife before speaking.

"So...did Randheera sir give you the clearance form, bhabhisa?" he asked to avoid the awkward silence.

"Yes," I nodded and gave him the paper the general gave to me.

"This does not indicate any timing," Deversa stated as he looked through. "When are you planning to leave, bhabhisa?" he asked.

"Whatever time you say," I replied and he chuckled.

"Bhabhisa, it's meant to your call," he stated calmly, "not ours. Tell us when you are comfortable."

I remained silent.

"How about after an hour?" he suggested.

"Sure," I nodded.

"Alright," he said and looked at his wife, "Shanthi, would it be okay if I ask you to accompany bhabhisa until then?" he asked.

Shanthi nodded.

"Okay," he said. "Take care bhabhisa," he added turning towards me, "I'll see you both in an hour."

"Sure," I said and Shanthi took a step inside and I closed the door.

"Is he gone, bhabhisa?" Shanthi asked in a slow voice.

"Yes," I replied.

"Phew," Shanthi said and immediately lifted her eyes to reveal her very cheerful face, full of joy and happiness.

"Nice to meet you bhabhisa," she greeted me with a smile and a warm hug taking me by surprise. 

"Hawww," she said looking up and down, "You still in your bridal lehenga bhabhisa? Did it not hurt while you slept?"

"It did," I said immediately feeling comfortable around her, "But...but the general brought me directly from the temple and I only have this dress."

"Thought so," Shanthi said, "All men are like that bhabhisa," she complained, "They won't have to leave their home na, so they forget that their wife has to. "My husband also did the same. Forgot putting my luggage bag in the carrier" she said sadly, "I had to borrow my Sasuma's sarees for two whole days...which are so outdated."

"But worry not," she said smiling again, "I got you a nice saree, the best one I have."

"Really?" I said feeling grateful, "Thank you!"

"The blouse might be a little lose for you, but no issues, I also got a needle and thread, I will adjust accordingly. Change and we will go shopping."

"Thank you Shanthi," I said hugging her, "You are the best."

"That's what they say, bhabhisa," she completed, "West people are the best people."

Vishnu anna did not say west people are self obsessed too....

"Go change bhabhisa," Shanthi said again and I went to change my dress.

"Perfect bhabhisa, you look so pretty," she complimented once I changed and came back, "and these beds," she said bouncing on them, "they are so bouncy."