25 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ my lady

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌔 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

twenty-five

'Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌔 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

(Y/N)

"Someone's near," Paul whispers, fluttering a kiss on my lips before he pulls away as his mother stirs awake.

She suspects nothing, which is funny in itself as we were married right in front of her all that time ago.

"You need to drink," he murmurs to Jessica as she sits up. "It's recycled water from the tent." He hands her a small leather pouch with a straw, and her face quickly morphs into one of confusion and disgust. "Sweat and tears," Paul murmurs, making me bite back a smile, though it is our only source of hydration.

Quickly, he shifts with lightning speed. "Alright, let's get out of here."

Paul picks up a sand compactor, activating the electrostatic field as he tests it on the sand, finding that it works. Jessica holds the glowglobe as my husband turns to me, nodding in confirmation with a reassuring squeeze to my hand.

Up on the surface, a little desert mouse squeaks, using the water caught on its ears to drink. The sand rumbles and churns, and out comes Paul as he looks around, spotting the tiny creature before it races off.

He helps me up once he tosses away the gear, swiftly pressing a kiss to my temple before we each take Jessica's hands and help her out of the sand.

Above, the loud sounds of ornithopter wings catch our attention, coming in fast and low, with high speeds. It whips around like a dragonfly in place, hovering over the ground as it faces us.

"That's Duncan," Paul whispers, taking my hand as we hobble over to the large cloud of sand, overjoyed and panicked to see a familiar face.

Duncan comes racing out and gently hugs all three of us, despite his sudden charge, panting.

"My lady," he says to Jessica, looking overwhelmed. "Paul. (Y/N). I'm so sorry. Your father..."

"We know." Paul replies, his tone gentle but solemn, so I hold his hand to comfort him as Jessica holds mine.

Duncan takes a knee, taking the hand I was holding and pressing it to his forehead. "My lord Duke." He then takes mine. "My lady Duchess."

Jessica looks up at both of us, seeing if we finally accept the title and the huge responsibility. Paul glances at her before his eyes settle on me.

We both place a hand on Duncan's shoulders.

God save the Lord and Lady.