7

*** Randheera ***

"You are late," Deva said the moment I entered the dreaded interrogation room.

"Apologies your highness," I said sitting opposite to him and the snake.

"Apologies accepted, now state the reason so that we can decide on the amnesty," Deva commanded.

Nothing scarier than Deva as an investigation officer.

"I was putting on bangles for my wife," I replied, "It's a tradition from her side."

"I will grant the amnsety," Deva immediately replied.

"So will I," added the snake.

"What?" I asked surprised, "Last time I was late for an investigation because I was overloaded with work and I still wasn't forgiven. This time, it was because I was putting on bangles and you were both willing to let it go?"

"Because, general, that was a reflection of your poor time management skills," Deva stated, "This is a reflection of your intentions to respect your wife's traditions even if she approached you last minute."

I fell silent.

Not sure I agree with those statements, but whatever, as long as I am not being punished.

"So," Deva said looking at the file, "Let's talk about you lying to Vishnu sir about a snake in his chamber."

"That wasn't a lie," I said honestly.

"See your highness, I told you...." the poison started acting up.

"It wasn't a lie because I saw his scarf and mistook it for a snake," I lied.

"I don't even have a black scarf," Vishnu oppossed.

"It was in the evening sir," I replied, "the room was dark, the colors weren't prominent."

"But I am sure the soldiers lit the lamps while they were searching for the supossed snake,"  Deva asked, "You didn't notice it then?"

Damn it! What am I supossed to say now?

"No your highness, I did not," I answered, "During the chaos of all the soldiers entering at the same time and the intelletcuals running away, the scarf got scattered out of the snake like shape and I just thought it was another piece of clothing."

"If that's the case, how are you so confident now, that it was the scarf you mistook for a snake?" Vishnu oppossed.

"Because we didn't find the snake," I replied, "and me and my soldiers are intelligent enough to connect the dots."

"Intelligent?" Vishnu said sarcastically, "Your idiotic soldiers tore open the bed in order to search for a snake. To consider them intelliegent is pure delusional."

"Watch your words, Vish," I said angrily as I pulled out the sword but it was quickly cut off by the King's sword.

"You are in the middle of an investigation, general," he said angrily, "Lower your voice and put back the weapon."

"Of course, your highness," I said angrily turning towards Deva, "You see me raising the weapon but you don't see your pet snake instigating me and this is exactly what happens in the outside world as well. My men go to protect them and they, in turn, mock and make fun of us and when we take revenge they bring it to you. They pierce us with their words, and it goes unnoticed, we raise our swords, and all of the sudden they start running to hide behind the King's back, even if, we never made a scratch."