Tips: How to write a decent story outline?

Some writers use them, while other writers don’t. It all depends on your preference. It all depends on what works best for you. If you are a forgetful person like me, or even if you just have a very complex plot—story outlines might help to make your life easier in the long run. Sure, it takes time, when all you really want to do is dive into your story and get writing, but it does save you time when; you forget an important detail (this happens to me quite often), want to write a series of books, or even just keep tab of the writing process.

Anyway, enough babbling, here are some tips you might find useful.

1.)  Character profile sheets.

Character profile sheets are fairly simple, and a great way to get started and to create/learn more about your characters. It also gives you a good idea of what you’re working with, and the opportunity to give each character their own unique little quirks. In my humble opinion, the key to any realistic character is flaws.

Nobody is perfect!

So have fun with it, play around, but most importantly of all: be creative. We’ve all heard the story about the picture perfect cheerleader who has blonde hair, blue eyes, and is picture perfect in everybody’s eyes—especially that built jock. So why not mix it up a little bit? Maybe the “picture perfect cheerleader” has freckles, or is freakishly tall, or maybe she has a scar above her left eye. Try and be original, for perfection is only skin deep.

Example of a character profile sheet:

Name/Title:
Occupation:
First Impression:
Sex/Gender:
Age:
Appearance:
What they Carry:
Relationships:
Personality:
Strengths:
Shortcomings: 
History:
Motivations/Goals: 

Note:
Premade sheets can be found online. Try searching ‘Character profile sheet’ on Google or Bing.

2.)  Story outline.

A story outline is like the tray for a cake, without it, it’s very possible the entire cake could fall to pieces. Besides, story outlines can be lots of fun! It gives you the chance to get excited and plan out the story.

There are many ways to create a story outline, but I find that doing it per chapter normally seems to work. It’s also a good way of keeping tab of things. However, the general purpose of a story outline is to be a reminder or a guide of what’s going to happen. How it’s presented is entirely up to you, so create your outline in a way that best suits your way of thinking.

Story outlines might seem pointless, but it’s far better than starting a story blind sighted. I mean, would you go into battle without a plan of attack?

***

Example of a story outline:

* Chapter One:

Introduction. Sally starts a new school, she’s slightly nervous, and just wants to fit in because she was incredibly unpopular at her old school.
(Insert backstory).

* Chapter Two:

Sally meets Jack, they get along like a house on fire. The only problem is that Jack is the coolest guy in school, while Sally’s reputation isn’t going that well.

* Chapter Three:

Jack tries to hide Sally from his friends, hanging out with her in secret.

* Chapter Four:

Jack ignores Sally, only speaking to her in secret. Sally soon finds out and becomes upset with Jack. They quickly get into a heated argument.

* Chapter Five:

Sally is left with no friends, while she watches Jack slip away, but is too stubborn to say something. Eventually, Sally gets tired of being upset and decides to face Jack, only to find he’s found a new girlfriend.

* Chapter Six:

Sally is depressed, but decides to try and be friends with Jack, regardless of her obvious crush on him. She doesn’t get along with his girlfriend, Jill.

* Chapter Seven:

Jack and Jill have their ups and downs, while Sally remains as his shoulder to cry on. Regardless of how much they clash, they stay together, and this infuriates Sally—but she doesn’t speak up.

* Chapter Eight:

Jill gets jealous of how close Jack and Sally are, and then she makes Jack choose between them. Jack chooses his girlfriend over his friend, Sally, and this makes Sally awfully depressed.

* Chapter Nine:

Prom night. Everyone has a date but Sally. She feels alone, depressed, and terribly heartbroken. But just when she is about to give up, she has a heart to heart with her mother, Lara, and then decides to go to the dance by herself.

* Chapter Ten:

At the dance, Sally encounters Jack, who is arguing with his girlfriend as always. He is upset, so Sally comforts him, and then she confesses her feelings. He apologises for his actions, tells her she looks beautiful, and they engage in a passionate kiss. Then, out of some twisted turn in events, Sally and Jack get prom king and queen, and then they end up dancing the night away. All ends well, and they run off into the sunset together.

***

Note:

Okay, so that was a fairly basic example, but it’s not too far off from my real story outlines. I just jot down basic points that happen in the story, that way I don’t forget or lose focus of the story whilst writing.

Best-selling author, Richelle Mead (Blood Promise), had one written, “write something exciting here…” on her story outline, and that ended up growing into the famous bridge scene.

3.)  Timetables and organisation (VERY helpful if your character goes to a school).

Sometimes days of the week can get confusing in your made up universe, so it’s always good to have something to fall back on. Sure, it sounds silly having a set out schedule for your characters, but if they are all needing to be somewhere at certain times—or attending classes, it helps to keep tab of everything.

Many great authors, such as, J.K.Rowling (Harry Potter), made class timetables for their characters.

Helpful advice.

Always and I mean, always have a pen and paper handy…or at least something you can write your thoughts down on, for you never know when inspiration might strike.

I even make lists of everything. Names I like. Words I like. Sayings/quotes that interest me. Books I like. Songs I like. Anything, absolutely anything that might be of help. As a writer, words should be your best friend. Nothing excites me more than learning a new word; I even have “word of the week” on my phone. Today’s word is: irks. I heard it in a song and thought it sounded interesting. Then I often try to throw that word in the next time I write something book-related, it’s like my own little personal challenge.

My mother even suggested reading the dictionary for fun, but you’ve got to have a lot of time on your hands to do that. Also, it can be rather boring. So I like to pick up books I like, and then study them. That’s my homework.

For more helpful tips, see to Cassandra Clare's (author of The Mortal Instruments series) website: http://www.cassandraclare.com/cms/writing
(Link in external link - on the right hand sidebar).