Beginning of The End

I was only five years old when it happened. When my parents died. I was at elementary school. My mom and step dad were driving to get more alcohol at the liquor store. They were already drunk when they ruined that poor families day. Got a daughter killed. I still clearly remember being told by the police that I wasn't going to see my parents again. I was set up for adoption by the law system. That night the news cast talked about how two adults slammed right into another car full speed, and all three of four died. My step dad, mom, and the daughter who was driving. The passenger was one of her friends. She almost died too. I didn't understand what was going on at first.

Time passed by. I wasn't being chosen by the couples. They gave a look at me. Then frowned, and began looking at the other kids. I didn't get along well with the other kids there. I felt sick constantly. I was finally seven when I snuck out of the place. I needed to pee. I was going to come back since it was basically my home at that point. After my tinkle I decided to go around the city. No one asked if I had parents. They just walked past me. I walked nearby to the beach. It was quiet. The sounds of the waves calmed me, until I heard something. Or someone rather.

"Pssst! Hey kid!"

I was trying to find where the man was who called out for me.

"Over here!"

He was to my left in the water.

"Who are you?"

Were the first words to trail from my mouth when he said it.

"Listen, I need food, do you think you can get me some? I've been starving for a while now..."

He asked me. I trusted him in my gut for some reason.

"Okay, just wait."

I whispered back to him. I went back to my own prison again, getting some simple cheese and stick snacks. Three, exactly.

"Okay here sir."

"Oh, thank you so much. Now please, get me out of this water, my legs hurt..."

I tried my hardest to pull him out by putting my hands under his armpits and pulling up while walking back. He maneuvered with me to help. Finally he was on the sand next to me.

"Do you know how to call 911 kid?"

I nodded my head yes, but he couldn't see it.

"Do you?"

"Yes I do!"

I exclaim in a worried tone.

"Okay... call them, and follow what they say."

I did as he said, I struggled.

"No, no! Not that street! The other one!"

I kept repeating. I was afraid for the man.

Finally they said they were coming.

I came back to tell him everything would be okay.

"They said they were coming!"

"Ah... good kid. Nice job. Listen, you might not see me again after this. But thank you so much for the help. I mean it. Don't tell anyone about this. Not even your friends or parents."

"I have none... it's fine."

It was a little strange after that. He didn't say much after that. I noticed that the reason his legs hurt, was because they were wounded. Looked like bullet wounds. I looked at his legs for a long period of time and felt sick. Knowing he was in major pain yet he still kept his cool around me.

"It's not rude to look... they hurt like shit."

He whispered with a shriveled voice.

"How did you get those?"

"It's a really long story, you wouldn't understand."