New Beginnings

I walk into my new room, nerves wracking my body. This is the start of something much bigger than I've ever been through. The anxiety I've been feeling all day increases as I realize my roomate isn't here yet. What will she be like, I wonder. Just as that thought ends, the door opens and a couple bags of clothes walk through.
"Here, let me help you!" "Thank you Ryan dear." my mother exclaimes as she nearly drops my stuff. I grab a duffle and place it at the foot of my bed, moving aside so my mom can place the other bag next to it. She looks at me and sighs a breath of reliefe.
"Are you excited?" her eyes glinting with mischief.
"I'm so excited, I'm nearly vibrating!". The volume makes her laugh, resting her hand on my shoulder. I smile at her and pull her in for a hug.
"I'm gonna miss you momma." "I live on the other side of town, don't make it sound like I'm across the country!". Despite her words, my mother wraps her arms around me tightly. After a moment, we pull away and glance around.
"You'll be fine. You are gonna have so much fun, girly." "Thanks mom. I should probably get settled in now." She heads to the door, chuckling.
"Alrighty, I'm gone. See you this weekend. Text me later." "I will mom, love you" I say as i wave her out.
With my mom gone and the emptiness of the dorm washing over me, my nerves return. I hope my first year of college is a good one.