The Break Up

COLTON

When I walked through the front door of my house my nose was immediately filled with the smell of steaks. I drop my bags by the staircase and walk into the kitchen where my parents were...dancing? Mom stood at the stove shaking her hips while my father was busting out some other weird-looking moves.

I can't wait to be this in love with someone.

"Am I, uh, interrupting something?" I curiously ask.

They immediately stop what they are doing and look at me, "Uh, yeah, you kind of are." My dad jokes.

My mother hits his arm, "No sweetie, you're just in time. Come sit."

I sit down at one of the bar stools, "Where's Emma?"

My father rolled his eyes and crossed his arms as my mother spoke, "She's out with some boy named Forest."

"Forest? What happened to Alex?" I ask.

My mom laughed, "Who knows." She uses hand gestures to tell me to move to the table. I slowly get up and sit down. "Now, how was your day?"

I groan, "I don't think I can do it anymore, ma. It's killing me seeing her with that boy."

She hands me a plate and I thank her. "Well, why don't you just tell her how you feel?"

I groan, "Mom! I've dropped so many hints. It's impossible for her to think I'm not in love with her. It's like she just doesn't want to admit it. Plus, she's dating Luke. I can't ruin her relationship."

"Just be patient. She will come around soon."

"I've been waiting over fifteen years." She chuckles and I almost throw my bread roll at her before deciding to just eat my feelings. "It's not as easy as you think. You and Dad confessed your feelings the day you met."

My dad rolled his eyes, "It was more like a month."

"It's still better than fifteen years!" My phone starts to ring and I curiously pick it up to see that it was Ivy calling. I excuse myself from the table, walk into the living room, and press answer. "Hey, Ives."

She sniffles, "Hey, can you come pick me up?"

My heart broke, I hated seeing her sad, "Yes, I'm on my way now. I'll be there soon, beautiful."

"Thank you, Colton. I love you."

"I love you too." I hung up the call before briefly telling my parents what I was doing.

Luckily Luke didn't live too far away. It took me about five minutes to get there due to my speeding. I peel the car to the curb to find Ivy sitting on the porch with her head in her hands. I quickly get out of the car and run up to her. I wrap my arms around her and she sobs into my chest. I don't say anything and I just continue to comfort her. Once I realized we were still on this prick's porch, I stood up and picked her up waking her over to my car. I put her stuff on the floorboard and put her seatbelt on.

I've seen this girl cry only a small handful of times and it kills me every time. I don't push her into telling me anything yet. I want to give her time.

I drive to my house where I walk inside and immediately go up the stairs. I set her down on my bed and then jogged down the stairs to where my parents were cuddling on the couch. "Is everything okay?" My mom asks.

I scratch the back of my head, "Not really, is it okay if Ives stays here tonight?"

My mom turns to look at my dad with that look and he shrugs, "Yeah, no funny business though."

I smile and kiss her on the cheek, "Thank you. And we will probably just talk and then go to sleep."

She nods and I walk back over to the stairs before my dad yells, "You better be at practice tomorrow."