The Recovery

COLTON

I had been tossing and turning all night. I'm sure Ivy noticed it. I felt bad. I mean, she was asleep so she probably didn't notice it.

It's like that saying, it's four a.m., I'm crying and you're asleep. Or, I wonder if she lies awake at night missing me the way I miss her.

Except the fact I wasn't crying, I was just still extremely pissed off. I lay in bed with my eyes wide open, just staring at the ceiling. Eventually, I can't take it any longer so I climb out of bed and head downstairs to the kitchen. Food solves all problems. I get the ingredients to make a sandwich: bread, mayonnaise, and turkey.

As I'm about to take a bite, the light flicks on and I jump back. "Jesus Christ Colton, what are you doing up at four in the morning?" My dad whisper-shouts.

I innocently smile and raise my sandwich in the air, "eating. I couldn't sleep."

He set down the baseball bat he had grabbed and stood on the other side of the island counter just looking at me, "What's wrong?" He asks.

How did he know? "Nothing?"

He rolls his eyes, "Colton. I've dealt with your mother for twenty years. I can tell when something is wrong with someone."

"I'm," I sigh, "Ivy and I got into a pretty big argument."

"Oh, so you guys got in your first fight? What about?" He leans over the counter to make himself a sandwich as well.

I groan, "I'm probably overreacting but some girl gave us one backstage pass..." I begin to tell him about the events of last night and why I was so angry.

He laughs, "Damn. I thought you were going to be like "She wouldn't give me head". I'm kinda sad now." He wipes the fake tears from the corner of his eye.

I roll my eyes almost blushing in embarrassment, "Ivy and I haven't even gotten that far in our relationship."

He drops the turkey that was in his hands and gasps as if I were gossiping with him, "What!" I groan and flick him off before leaving the kitchen. Thanks for nothing, dad.

I slowly walk back upstairs as if I was doing a walk of shame. Once I reach my room I notice Ivy is still asleep. I slip back into bed and try to get comfortable. I feel her shift in the bed and turn over where Ivy lazily spreads her arm across my waist, cuddling into me.

My heart pangs in my chest. It was stupid to get so mad over that. I can't be mad at her. Because well the truth is, Ivy, I am madly, deeply, truly, passionately in love with you.

-

We woke up the next morning, Ivy was still on top of me. I chuckled and brushed the hair out of her face, trying to wake her up. I felt her body tense up as she began to stretch and wake up. Her eyes shot open and we immediately made eye contact. I slightly smiled as she started to move away, "I'm sorry," she told me.

I pulled her back to me, "It's all good, Ives."

"No, I don't mean for cuddling. I mean for last night. I know what I did was wrong and I'm sorry I just left like that. I just got so caught up in the moment," she wouldn't look into my eyes, that's how I knew she was sorry.

I grabbed her hand that was resting on my chest and squeezed it, "It's okay. I'm sorry for making a huge deal about it."

"We good?" Ivy asks.

I chuckle, "Yes, baby. Now tell me all about it." I kissed her nose, encouraging her to spill all the details that happened behind closed doors. I may as well hear about it since I wasn't able to see it in person. She tells me how she had to stand in a short line to meet him.