Chapter 1

I have been sitting in this cold, hard waiting room chair for what seems like an eternity, in reality, though it has been around 6 hours. I closed my eyes and held a newspaper that has been keeping me occupied in my folded arms. I say occupied loosely, in fact, it was the only thing that tied me to the life I had created over the two months in Pennsylvania with Millie and Archie. The time is around 1 am meaning that I have been sitting in this uncomfortable position for around 6 or so hours trying to get some sleep.

Nearing the 26th hour without any sleep my eyes started to feel heavy and I let myself drift into a light slumber. I felt my hands grow weaker as I drifted into unconsciousness, the newspaper slipped out of my hand and landed on my lap but I didn't dare disturb my oncoming downtime which I so desperately needed.

I didn't want to sleep because there was a constant fear set in me that I would miss the news. Noah's confession kept replaying over and over in my mind, mainly because it didn't make any sense. I keep seeing him crying, the tears streaming down his cheeks. It was rare to see a powerful man instantly turned into a vulnerable, helpless boy. Especially as this is Mr Noah McKenzie, the arrogant individual who demanded I lodge at one of his apartments until I got back on my feet. The same man who ordered me out of his and his family's life yet in the same breath told me he loved me and would kiss me like we were the only two people on the planet. Now, he is nothing more than a boy scared for his sister's life.

The hand on my shoulder and the embrace we shared as a sign of comfort felt so real these 6 hours later. Even the soft cries I heard while I held Noah tight and comforted him. Then, it all became real once more. I blinked a couple of times letting my eyes adjust to the light and turned to my right. Noah sat beside me and I instantly began to search his face but his expression was cold and emotionless.

"No no no no," I said over and over. His expressionless face could only mean one thing. The girl who accepted me as a friend and as a sister of sorts, the one who went behind her brothers back to give me a place to stay is gone. She's dead.

I wanted to cry but I couldn't. I hadn't anything left to cry so I just stared into the distance for what felt like hours until Noah finally pulled me out of my trance, "she pulled through."

My eyes snapped to his and the annoyance on my face was evident. I really wanted to slap him but at the same time pull his lips towards mine and kiss him. Does this mean we have a chance of...being together? I shook the thought from my mind, I can't act naïve. Nothing else has changed, in fact, everything is still the same as before Kelly was shot which means that I'll be on my way back to Pennsylvania before the week is up.

I'm not sure why but I started to laugh and a grin spread from ear to ear. She is okay. Tears started to fill my eyes as I cried, they were, of course, happy tears.

"Why?" Noah now stood towering above me and asked.

"What?"

"You're acting crazy Sophia. Come on I'll get you a hotel so you can get some sleep." Noah held my arm and helped me stand. I stumbled a little but regained my balance. I really do need sleep, I nodded in agreement.

"I'm just so happy Noah, she's okay. When I heard about it all I felt dead inside I-" He cut me off.

"We can talk about this later but first you really need some sleep, okay?" He said. 

"Before we go I want to see her," I said quietly and this time it was Noah's turn to nod. We walked silently to room 12A.

I told myself that when I see Kelly I will not cry, that was my first rule. My second was to make sure I ask Noah what he meant when he kept muttering it's all my fault back in the exact room we are heading to about 6 hours ago. I don't actually know how she got into this situation...well of course apart from her being close to a drug bust that went wrong.